Friday, May 23, 2008

Products that work and products I shirk

Products that work for me:
  1. Aveeno lotion for babies: this is wonderful, thick, moisturizing, and fragrance free. Perfect for babies with sensitive skin. The only lotion I'll buy my babies from now on.
  2. Kashi cereals and granola bars: Healthy and delicious. Not too sweet, but just right. I don't buy the granola bars right now, but when I was pregnant it was the perfect snack since sugar wasn't appealing. My favorite cereals: Autumn Wheat, Harvest Cinnamon, and Go Lean Crunch.
  3. Safeway/Tom Thumb brand string cheese: Forget the name brand junk. This has good flavor, is nice and stringy, low moisture, etc. WAY better than Frigo or Precious.
  4. Pantene Pro-V Sculpting Wax: good for short, frizzy hair. It's a hard wax, not the goopy junk.
  5. Henkle Pro-S series kitchen knives: I would be lost in my kitchen without these babies. So sharp. A knife for any purpose.
  6. Stonyfield farm organic yogurts (o'soy, yo-baby, and fruit on the bottom): I bought these on sale and I am so glad I did! FINALLY a company got it right. My biggest complaint with other yogurt is that it has WAY too much sugar (CORN SYRUP!!). And then the "light" yogurts are made with way too much of the sugar-substitutions I'm opposed to. Stonyfield farms uses naturally milled organic sugar, and not too much. It's just the right amount of sweetness for a breakfast. Dean really likes the yo-baby yogurts.
  7. Annie's Whole Wheat Bunnies (crackers): These are really tasty and made from whole wheat flour. On the front they tout "No icky additives or pesky preservatives". The ingredient list was way shorter than other "kid crackers" like the gold fish. The only one I didn't understand was "expeller pressed vegetable oil". It sounds healthier than partially hydrogenated oil (which is in most kid crackers), but I'm not sure how much healthier it really is. Anyone know? I got them at Target and will probably always buy them over the goldfish crackers.
  8. Amy's brand frozen foods: If we don't have leftovers for Matt's lunch, he often takes frozen entrees. Amy's brand is organic, vegetarian, and way healthier than most other frozen foods. The only thing of Amy's that I don't like that I've tried is the chili. It's canned, not frozen, but it has a funny taste to it that doesn't belong in chili.
Products I thought I'd love but now shirk:
  1. Aveeno baby sunblock: I thought I'd love this because I love their lotion, but it is HORRIBLE (not to mention danged expensive!!)!! It says that it is waterproof, but when we went to the splash pad today, it immediately started to run all over Dean's face and into his eyes when we got wet.
  2. Kashi TLC crackers: these were just plain disgusting to me. I took them back to costco and got my money back because they were so bad.
  3. Lavender scented baby lotions and baby washes: We got lots of the lavender baby lotions and baby wash from our baby showers, and they just didn't seem to work well for us. Dean's skin is a little sensitive, and I think I'm allergic to the fragrance. Anyone want ours? We won't use it and it's only been used a handful of times.
  4. Pampers: Who designed these things? And who were they designed for? They're supposed to be the leading brand of disposable diapers, but they are NO GOOD for chubby legged babies. At least they were not good for Dean.
  5. Luvs: I like the fit of Luvs better than Huggies or Pampers (seem to chafe his legs less), but the scent is just not for me! I can't stand it and it masks the smell of his poo. I guess some people want this, but I like to know if he's poopy without having to undress him to check. Plus, he had 3 blow outs (out the back) and one leak out the first week he wore them. I will be sending in for my refund shortly.
  6. Huggies: Now, I have to say I loved the newborn Huggies Cuddleweave. But the rest have let me down. These are still my standard diapers, but I'm not overly pleased with them. I really am considering going cloth. The diapers I'm looking into are: happy heinys and bumgenius 3.0. They're initially pricey, but since they're reusable, they'd end up costing less, even with water usage increase. We'll see if I can talk myself into trying it.
Do you have favorite products or products that let you down? I'm curious to find out what they are...

7 comments:

randa_joy said...

I'm going to have to try those Kashi bars. i think they must have reformulated the creals b/c I used to force myself to eat them and then stopped. I LOVE the stonyfield yogurts too. If they aren't available I just get the yoplait kids, i think they just have less sugar and no substitutes not as good as the "yo"s and I feel like the cultures in the "yo"s are much better. I also love Annie's bunny cereal and wheat crackers. Addie hates the wheat crackers so I get her the orange Annie's bunnies. I love Huggies little swimmers sunblock, i use it on myself too. I love the baby lavender lotions but I think they irritate Addie's skin too. Pampers, luvs, and Huggies all are too stinkie for me and for my purposes I don't need them to be able to hold a half gallon and when Addie was tiny they didn't contain explosions anyway. I do use huggies at night. During the day I use Target diapers because 1 they don't stink, 2 they're CHEAP, 3 they fit Addie well, 4 they're less bulky, 5 they don't leave the little gel balls on her bum. I think there are more reasons but I can't think of them right now. I also thought about trying cloth (I almost bought the Wal-Mart Kushies) but then decided to just finish off using disposables with Addie or I still may buy some and just try to use cloth a couple times a day to see if I think I could do it for the next one.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I wish I'd gotten this before I bought the coppertone kids sunblock. I haven't tried it yet, but if the huggies is great, I have a coupon for it.

I don't know about Kashi's other cereals, but the three I named I love. ESPECIALLY the wheat ones.

Dean likes the whole wheat bunnies. I got some "rice thins" at the same time and he didn't like those at all.

Maybe I'll try the target diapers next. I've never had a problem with gel balls though.

Erin said...

I love the Aveeno too and have had good success with it on Anna's sensitive skin. However, a dermatologist friend told me that the Cetaphil was better formulated. I think I'll have to try that next.
I think the fact that all moms have very specific views on diapers is so funny. I buy the Coscto box of Huggies...never noticed a smell. The Coscto brand diapers aren't bad either.
Also, we'd be lost without our yo-baby!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

The costco diapers aren't that different than huggies, but the sizes are slightly smaller. I was put off by the chemical smell that exudes from huggies snug n' dry. It's not as bad with the huggies natural fit supreme diapers though. I am pretty sensitive to smells though.

Lindsay said...

Right now we're loving Malt-o-Meal Scooters cereal. The box claims that kids prefer Scooters to Cheerios, and I didn't want to believe them, but I think I do now. They're tasty! I buy them for Garrett to snack on, but I can't help from sneaking a few myself.

We also love Aveeno lotion. One kind totally cured Garrett of his bizarre skin rash/dry skin problem.

Amy said...

A girl in my ward gave me the best advice on diapers that has saved me tons already...she said she has always just used the cheapo Parent's Choice brand from Wal-mart (or Target brand). I decided to give them a try and haven't had any more leaks than any of the other brands I've tried. All in all, I'm very pleased with them. And, they're like 1/2 the price! Call me cheap, I'm okay with it.

Amanda said...

i had a doctor tell me that Luvs are the worst diapers for sensitive skinned babies because they hold in heat and are extra scented, and i haven't used them since. also, whenever a baby is wearing a generic brand diaper, i swear i can tell because they smell like urine to me unless it is a brand new diaper. also, the generic brand diapers always seem to leak overnight on my babies. i have always paid more for Huggies and Pampers and have generally been happy (although I have not noticed a strong scent. I must have gotten so used to it over the years). With problems like chubbiness (or skinniness with some of mine), I usually upgrade to the Pampers cruisers or Huggies Supreme kind. In the last few months before potty training, I only change them for stinky diapers and at night and morning and they never leak and don't smell and last twice as long, so I feel like I am getting my money's worth over the generic brands which seem to need to be changed twice as often. of course, most moms aren't as lazy as i am and would rather put a fresh diaper on every couple of hours. i am sure that it is more sanitary, but i am busy and need the diaper that can last the longest when i need it. and i applaud anyone who even considers cloth. back to my laziness/busyness issue....

also, you might want to check into giving dean yogurt right now. i did that with chelsea around 6 months, and my doctor got kind of mad and said that you shouldn't feed dairy products before 9-10 months. i LOVE those organic yogurt products though. Kashi GO LEAN crunch though. I tried to force myself to eat it, and I couldn't do it, and the box sat in my cupboard until it was a giant, solid, cereal nugget. Probably because it doesn't have as many preservatives in it, so that might be a good thing.