Friday, May 30, 2008

The Little Patient

Today was the surgery. He wasn't allowed to eat after midnight so I woke him up and fed him at 11:15 last night. I was hoping that would sustain him until 6 when we got up, but no. He woke up at 4 and cried and cried. I made Matt go check on him at 5 to make sure he wasn't poopy. Nope. And then he cried and cried. He finally fell back to sleep around 5:40. We left for the hospital at 6:15 and his surgery was at 7:30. He was the perfect little pre-op patient.

He was cheerful despite being hungry and tired. His anesthesiologist looked a little like and sounded a lot like Billy Bob Thornton. "The doctors just want to do their job, but there's so much frickin' paper work these days."

He didn't cry once for the nurses, even when they took him into surgery. Billy Bob said he just looked up at the mask when they put it on him, and he was out in under 10 seconds.

Afterward was not so happy!! He was only gone about 15 min. before they came to get me. Only 1 person was allowed in recovery, and since I have the boobs, that was me. It was so sad! He was screaming and shaking. His mouth was all numb and bloody. He wanted to nurse but couldn't figure out how to latch since he had no feeling in his tongue. That just got him more angry. At least the screaming helped get the anesthesia out of his body, right?

He was still screaming in the car and all the way home. He fell asleep right before we made it home. I hoped he'd just do a nice, easy transfer from the car to the crib, but he woke up and wouldn't go back to sleep. Luckily he was able to eat some and then fell asleep. He just woke up after only 20 min. of sleep, but I rocked him again and got him back down. Poor baby. It was heartbreaking to see him so disoriented and crazy. I hope he makes a quick recovery and we have this cute, smiley guy (sans under the tongue frenulum) back soon.

11 comments:

Jodi Reeve said...

You seem so calm about everything. When Caleb ha his surgery (he had a hernia and hydrocil) I was nuts. We were there all day and the surgery only took about 1 hour. I am impressed!

Lindsay said...

Poor little guy! I hope he heals quickly!!

Erin said...

Oh, that sounds so sad! I agree with Jodi, you do seem to be taking it all very well. I'm sure he will bounce back very quickly. Good luck to all of you!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

When I went into the recovery room I didn't cry (even though that was the WORST!). You know, since I was the only one in there I just made myself be strong. But when I carried him into the room where Matt was, a little tear or two sneaked out of my eye.

He pretty much cried from 8:30 until 3 except for the little snatches of sleep he's gotten. He wouldn't eat until about 3. When he did it started bleeding again. When he was done eating he smiled and even tried to blow a few raspberries with his swollen tongue.

Erin S. said...

I'm glad it didn't take too long. I imagine it would be really really hard to let him go into surgery by himself! I'm sure he'll recover quickly! Let me know if you need anything!

Emily said...

Awwwwwwwwwww, it's always so hard to watch our little ones in pain, even if it is for something that is needed.

Glad he (and you) made it!

Lady Steed said...

Oh! Poor Dean! I hope he is back to his smiley self by now.

becki said...

ok, i'm sitting here shocked since i told you that reese was fine after hers. which she was. and poor little dean struggled so! i'm sorry, it was so bad. reese never bled, but she didn't cry/scream like that either and she was bottle feeding, so it was a little hard for her to eat, but she managed, maybe that made a difference. maybe he was just hungry. what a trial, but thank goodness he won't remember it.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Today was much better. He was mostly smiles and his tongue swelling is starting to go down. I do think that breastfeeding made it much harder for him to eat. Plus, I think his two bottom teeth were contributing to his bleeding while feeding. Did Reese have teeth when she had hers done?

Unfortunately he's never taken a bottle, so he wouldn't have had a clue what to do with it even if I'd offered.

It's very possible the anesthesia did weird things to his brain/body since it does weird things to me. When I had the laughing gas at the dentist (the one time), I was bawling hysterically when it started wearing off. I can't tell you why because I wasn't in pain. It's just how my body reacted to the medicine. Also, when I had my C-section meds I was shaking uncontrollably for hours afterward. That stuff is supposed to be hereditary.

Juls said...

I think that is the hardest thing to do watching your kid go into surgery! David was just STARVING after his so I am sure the whole tounge thing was totally worse!

I shook uncontrollably every time with my babies. My body is really sensitive too!

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

I'm so glad Dean is ok, and that is totally owed to you and Matt being so calm and collected. . .he is going to have the coolest stories to tell once he gets into nursery!