Sunday, May 04, 2008

Cloning children = no good: svithetacular

Last week we had a good lesson in our Sunday School class. The quote that stood out to me most was:

“We need to discover who our children really are. We need to know what interests them, what worries them, and what they would do if they had their fondest dreams come true. Nearly always, their fondest dreams are wonderful. We can let children be their own selves and not expect them to be reproductions of their parents. Give them varied experiences so they can discover what interests them, and then encourage these interests and talents—even if they are not the same as yours” (“Teaching Our Children,” Ensign, Apr. 1994, 62).

Such a good thing to remember. It's easy to project our dreams and desires onto our children, but they're not us. I imagine it's also easy to get frustrated when your kids aren't like you. But rather than try and clone them into mini-me, we should help them develop their talents and reach their dreams.

5 comments:

Erin S. said...

I remember that my mom let me enroll in lots of different classes, and then I got to decide which ones I liked to persue. I thought that was a good idea. Between the ages of 4-7 I tried out gymnastics, piano, art, soccer, dance, tap, and I think a few others. I decided to go with gymnastics and piano.

The Drapers said...

I am going to quit going to church and just read your blog. I get more out of it this way. Yesterday at church I spent 99.9% of the time in the hallway chasing my child..

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Yeah, my svithe came from last week's lesson since he was extra good last week. This week was a different story. He was super tired and cranky and wouldn't go to sleep. I'd say 2/3 was spent in the mother's lounge, 1/3 was spent walking the hall. I was only in about 10 min. of any of the meetings yesterday.

Lindsay said...

Very wise advice.

Mr. said...

.

It's true. And only easy to do for one child at a time, I'm noticing. I think because it takes more energy not to force conformity, curiously enough.