Sunday, May 11, 2008

MOM

It was funny, the first time Matt met my mom he later told me, "Well, at least you know what you'll look like when you're older. " One year in High School I dressed up as my mom (when she was my age--using some of her old clothes) for Halloween because we looked so similar. Everyone thought I was supposed to be Mary Tyler Moore. (Right is my mom pictured with Dean, the day we got home from the hospital.)

There were many times in my life I thought I was my mom's little clone. We were the same height, had similar "red" personalities (though I am pretty sure I'm now "blue"), and we looked a like. She had 7 children; I wanted 8 (now leaning toward 3-5). She taught piano; I taught piano. She is very smart; I like to think that I am very smart. She wasn't trying to clone me; I just looked up to her so much that I wanted to be just like her.

But I tell you what, it hit me like a bolt of lightening one day when I was 19, sitting on my porch reading scriptures after a morning run (also very mom like), that it was ok for me not to be my mom's clone. Yes, she is an AMAZING person, but I don't have to be her down to the itty-bitty details.

Can I tell you what a relief that was? Mainly because I just couldn't keep up with her. She works more than any person I know. Seriously, vacation for her is a time to get projects done, not lounge around! The only day I have ever known my mom to "take off" and lounge around is Christmas day. And you know what? She LOVES being that busy. One time she told me, "I really can't sympathize with people who say they are bored. I have enough things I want to accomplish that I will never be able to do them all in this life." Almost all of my memories of my mom include conversations during laundry, dishes, gardening, or other chores. (I guess with 7 kids there was never a shortage of those things...)

I still aspire to be like my mom in many ways, but I'm now learning to mother and live my own way; we're similar in some respects and different in others.

It takes an amazing and strong woman to have 7 children and turn out sane and happy! (That applies to you too Grandma!!)

I swiped this picture from my mom's giant bucket o' pictures because I loved it. I don't know who the guy is, but the set up is just priceless.

Mom, I love you and am so happy you're my mom! I have learned a lot from you and will continue to ask for your advice. I know you're the world's most perfect mom because, hey, look at how I turned out! (Yeah, yeah. I swiped that from a greeting card.)

3 comments:

Lois said...

Wow, thanks for all the compliments. You are a wonderful YOU so I'm glad that you now realize that you have so much to offer that only you can offer.

The picture comes from one of the high school plays I was in. The guy's name was Cary Paine. He later changed it to Cary Fly (his birth Dad's name) and became a nightclub musician in Washington. I think that play was The Importance of Being Ernest.

Thanks again for all the nice words. Love you. Mom

Juls said...

oh too cute. I also liked the picture :) I still can't remember mom ever raising her voice...maybe it was because I was #5.

Lindsay said...

I'm just starting to figure this out, too. Growing up, everyone (including me and my mom) considered us to be like identical twins. And it didn't help that we looked exactly alike (my mom used to joke with old friends she'd run into when we were both out together who would remark how much we looked alike that she actually adopted me from the orient). One of the nice things about moving so far away from the homebase is that I've been able to blossom into my own person. I love my mom, don't get me wrong, and admire her more than I can ever explain, but I also love that I'm becoming my own me.