I try and keep all meals and snacks "balanced" so he has a small amount of a few things on his plate. Like today at snack he had 3 and fruit snacks (yesterday he had apples and 1/2 a cheese stick). At lunch he had pears, broccoli, carrots, and celery with ranch, and mac n' cheese. At afternoon snack he had a granola bar (which he asked for but didn't actually eat). At dinner he had soup, salad, and a biscuit. He didn't eat everything at every meal or snack, but he ate WAY more than he normally does.
Our new rules:
1. Stop letting him drink his appetite away!
- At meals he would start with his milk or diluted juice and just chug away. He'd then ask for more and more and more and then wouldn't eat much.
3. Set regular "times" for meals and snacks. If he chooses not to eat at the designated time, he doesn't get food (or milk) until the next designated time. He can have as much water as he wants throughout the day.
- Sippy of "chocolate milk" (milk + a little isagenix) when he wakes up at 7.
- Breakfast at 8.
- Snack at 10. (At the table.)
- Lunch at 11:45-12.
- A sippy cup with milk at 12:30 in prep for his nap at 1.
- Snack after his nap. (at the table)
- Dinner at 5-5:30.
- Sippy with milk at 6:30 in prep for bed at 7.
5. No leaving the table until mom or dad is finished eating and has gotten up. Even if he's done eating, he has to stay at the table till one of us is finished.
Seriously, he's eaten soooo much better at meals. And he really hasn't complained much about the new set up yet. I have to be way more organized and structured, but I think it will really help us in the long run.