Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Dirty Details

You know when you go in for a job interview and they ask if you're detail oriented and organized? I've always thought of myself as both (more or less), but recently I've come to decide I was tricking myself. I am more organized than I am detail oriented, but my when organization doesn't include details, I guess I'm left wanting.

I started thinking about my inattention to details a couple weeks ago, and I can't stop thinking about how much it permeates my life.
  1. I don't like washing silverware by hand. I don't mind pots and pans, but I always throw the silverware in the dishwasher.
  2. When I read books I definitely don't read every single word. I want to get to the good stuff so badly I skim some. I guess that's why I can enjoy books the second (and sometimes third and fourth) time I read them as much as the first. I asked Matt last night if he reads every word in his books or if he skims to get to the meat of the matter. He was shocked (and mildly disgusted I think) that I would do such a thing! He likes to savor books. I like to devour them.
  3. I'm decent at keeping my house presentable overall, but don't look to closely at the details: window ledges, molding, cupboard doors, floor corners, the oven drawer, the collecting dust on tvs and computers...
  4. Punctuation is my Achilles heal in composition. I'm also not great at proof reading.
  5. I know I don't listen to every word that people say to me.
  6. I'm better a cooking than I am at baking because baking requires more precision.
  7. In piano I struggle releasing immediately on the rests.
  8. I often drop and add "s"s to the ends of words when I sing.
There are more examples, but these are what come to mind. Don't get me wrong, I can force myself to do these things; they just don't come naturally.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. Just self realization I guess.

What about you? Are you a detail person or do you live for the big picture?

5 comments:

FoxyJ said...

I've always thought of myself as "detail oriented", but I'm a lot like you. I'm really more into organization and order, but not so much the details. All the "detail work" in my house is usually pretty grimy, and I totally read books quickly/skim. I do enjoy baking, but mostly because I love following rules and I love eating sweets!

randa_joy said...

I'm SO opposite on this. I would rewrite your 8 items, replacing don'ts with dos and can'ts with cans etc. I'm disorganized and messy but the details are in tact. I definitely would be lost without my magic eraser, swiffer dusters, vacuum attachments, and floor and toilet toothbrushes. I pretty much hate to read fiction because it takes me FOREVER to read a book. I want to remember all the details and then go back to try to find the part where something was foreshadowed or if I can't remember exactly what happened. It's super irritating. Anyway I could go on but my nutshell is getting too big.

Lindsay said...

Details make me dizzy. But I love them all the same.

Erin S. said...

I used to think that I was not detail oriented...but I think I've remedied that situation, somehow I found myself being ultra picky about my projects. (But not the house. I'm like you in that I will keep the house presentable, but don't ask me how long it's been since I dusted the blinds/window sills GASP!)

Erin said...

I'm also a little of both. I'm very detailed when it comes to creating anything but my house is definitely not the most spotless on the block!