Monday, May 05, 2008

Celia the Saint

Last week one of my piano moms asked if I could turn the song "I heard Him Come" into a women's trio for girl's camp. I forgot how stinking long the song was! I didn't really know how big of a project this was going to be when I said I'd do it, but good heavens it took me probably 15 hours (maybe more) total!

I originally thought it was for 3 specific girls. I knew that they had some really musical young women, so I made the harmony fairly challenging. It sounded quite good, if I do say so myself. On Sunday the mom called and said they needed it this week and asked if I would be finished. Oh, and hopefully it's not too hard. I finished it up last night, hoping what I had done wasn't too hard. When she came to lessons today I showed it to them. She tried singing through the alto part while her daughter sang 1st sop. She struggled with a few of the passages, and then told me their whole young women's was singing the trio.

Ok. It wasn't going to work. Too hard for the non-singers in the bunch. So, I had to rework it tonight. After about 5 hours of additional work, I'm finally done. They have the 3 singing parts separately on their own staffs, and a piano version to play the parts easily while learning. I used the free finale notepad to do the musical notation. (While the free version has some limitations, it's a great program to have.) The song's printed up, and I wouldn't be sad if I never heard it again.

If I had charged the same amount I charge for piano lessons, this song would cost them around $375. Service is good for us, though, right?

I swear this song is probably available in an SSA arrangement that they could have purchased for a couple bucks. It would be just my luck.

12 comments:

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

If you were going to tell me it is available in SSA, please don't. I don't want to know at this point.

Erin said...

Ha ha! I love your comment. I was just going to say that I'm very impressed with your mad theory skills! All I'd be able to do is the standard "alto is a third lower" junk.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I did a lot of that. There were some places, though, that it just didn't sound good. The actual notation is what took me so long. It is kind of a tedious process the way the program is set up.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Also, the first time I wrote it, I gave each of the three the melody at some point in the song. Yeah, after they sang through it, I knew that would be too confusing.

Anyway, if I really had mad theory skills, I'd probably have finished it a whole lot sooner!

Sheree and Brian Mowers said...

Hi Celia! Remember me...your old neighbor buddy! I was blog hopping and saw yours! It's so fun to see old friend and what they are up to! You have always been so talented in the musical department...I'm jealous! Anyway...feel free to check out our blog too, it's bsmowers.blogspot.com! I would love to hear from you! -Sheree

Lois said...

If Sheree checks back here she can see a picture of herself at your birthday party in 1984. Look at the pictures on the blog for April 7.

Celia, you are way nice. Next time at least you will be able to give them some idea of how long it would take. Or just say no. Mom

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Hey Sheree! Good to hear from you. Amazing who you can find via blogs, no? I added you to my links.

Sheree and Brian Mowers said...

We are in Queen Creek, AZ right now. We are about 5 miles away from my entire family (and Brian's except for his parents who are still in Snowflake) and loving it! I laughed when I saw the old birthday pictures...too funny! You look great too by the way!

Brian & Veronica said...

yes, that is definitely some crazy serious service woman. Good for you! And for taking the extra time to "fix" it so they could sing it. :)

Erin S. said...

Wow, I'm impressed! I was also going to ask you where in the are you got your music from? I've been looking for some new music to practice but didn't know where to start...

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Erin, you're more than welcome to come and look at the music I have. The only music store here is Keyboards Unlimited in Plano. They're located on Spring Creek and 75. They actually have a pretty good selection.

Kristeee said...

Wow, good job! Just beware of the future "oh, she can arrange this for us" requests. hehe. Having more than just "I can play the hymns" musical talent is really nice, but sometimes people try to take advantage.