Saturday, May 03, 2008

5 years and counting

Well, today we tried to find some new living room furniture. No luck. We found two couches that worked stylistically and comfortably, but were no good in the color scheme. Boo. No oyster white for us. Or Native American brown. After dinner we watched Dan in Real Life. Probably the worst chick-flick I've ever seen in my life. I wanted to bang my head against a wall about 10 min. in, and it didn't get much better until the very end. I admit, it was my choice, but I was duped by the previews!! I thought it was a comedy with my good buddy Steve Carell. I didn't know it was going to be a horribly cliche and poorly written girly film. Oi.

Anyway, this was a little "tag" one of my friends did, and I decided to tag myself since it was appropriate for the occasion.



1. WHAT DATE IS YOUR ANNIVERSARY? May 3, 2003 Hey that's today!! Happy anniversary to us.

2. WHERE DID YOU GET MARRIED? Snowflake, AZ

3. WHO PROPOSED AND HOW? Matt did. We were hanging out in my living room after I made dinner. (Potato soup and bread bowls. It was yummy.) I had no clue he was proposing to me that night. (Oh, a funny side note: he'd almost asked me a few days earlier but didn't because we got in an argument over dinner talking about family topics relating to one of my classes.) A funny thing about that night was he had to wait and wait for one of my roommates to go upstairs since she kept coming in and out of the living room and kitchen. She also had her music blaring in there for about 1/2 hour to an hour. She obviously had no clue he was proposing to me that night either.

He had the ring in his pocket and at a random point in the evening he knelt by me and asked me to marry him. Of course I was going to say yes! I had already bought my wedding dress (unbeknownst to him!!!). We then called my parents (we had to make 2 calls since one of them was at home and one was in Mesa). They were kind of like, "glad it finally happened!" Then we called his parents (though I only remember talking to his mom) and she was totally shell shocked. Especially when we told her that we were planning on getting married in 2 months.

4. HOW LONG WERE YOU ENGAGED? 2 months (And may I just say I'm SO GLAD it wasn't any longer!)

5. WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE PART OF YOUR WEDDING DAY? ( AND IT CAN'T BE YOUR HUSBAND) Sex. Can I say that? I mean, did you want me to say my bouquet or something? It was a very nice bouquet. My bouquet and dress were pretty much exactly what I wanted. Simple. Classic.

6. WHAT WOULD YOU CHANGE IF YOU COULD? My photographer. And the chairs. I wish they had covers on them or something. And a few of the decorations. I left it almost completely up to anyone who was willing to help. And while it turned out really well for the most part, I must admit there were one or two decorative elements that I nearly took down and now wish I had. But I won't tell you what so no one feels bad. =)

7. WEDDING COLORS? Red and black. And gold made it's way in, though it wasn't one of my original choices. It was Asian themed because I went to China and had cool stuff. And it was different. Fortunately it was before Asian motif was so mainstream, so it wasn't yet cliche. Unfortunately it was before Asian motif became so mainstream, so the decorations I wanted (but didn't have from my trip) were a little hard to find.

8. REMEMBER ANYTHING SPECIAL ABOUT YOUR WEDDING CEREMONY? Right as we were going into the sealing room, our sealer accidentally stepped on my dress and ripped the bustle hook off. The cute little Temple worker lady hurried me into the dressing room and dodded (is that the word?) a new hook out of thread. She did an amazing job because it held through not only the wedding, but two receptions. We were a little late to our own sealing because of it though.

Oh, and the actual ceremony was pretty awesome because he related all of the endowment covenants to marriage one by one.

9. WERE YOU CLEAN OR MESSY WHEN YOU CUT YOUR CAKE? Messy-ish. Not really messy, but not really clean.

10. WHERE DID YOU GO ON YOUR HONEYMOON? We drove from AZ to northern CA over the span of a week. We spent a night in Flagstaff, Lake Havasu, Santa Clarita (went to Magic Mountain), Monterey Bay (went to the aquarium), and then at a bed in breakfast in Half Moon Bay.

5 comments:

Lois said...

I am so bad about remembering my kids anniversary dates. So Happy Anniversary!

If I had two things I would have changed about your reception it would have been the chairs and a bigger back drop. Man, those chairs were just bad. But the padded chairs clashed with the red.

I don't know if I have ever heard the whole story of the proposal. What a great guy Matt is!! We are so happy to have him as part of our family.

Much love to you both, Mom

Lindsay said...

Happy Anniversary!

Erin said...

Fun post! I might have to copy you in a few months. Happy Anniversary!

randa_joy said...

Congrats!

I too would have had a different photographer. I'm sure my pictures are worse than yours. So bad. And our back drop too was way too short and small. My family is HUGE and my FIL is super tall.

ANyway about Dan in Real Life: I wanted to like it so much because my oldest niece and sister LOVED this movie. And the whole time I was like "OK the funny parts must be coming up... there's gotta be something good... the ending is going to be CRAZY FUNNY..." but no. It was just not good.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

RJ, I'm a little disturbed to find out that someone actually LOVED that film...

I mean, to each his own I guess...