Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sweet treat for a Sunday evening

FINALLY! I can't tell you how many times I've tried to make cinnamon rolls to only have them turn out so disappointingly: dry, overcooked, bad texture, etc.

I decided it would be a good maiden voyage for my new Kitchen Aid. I found a recipe a long time ago for Brioche Cinnamon Rolls, so I thought I'd try it out. FAILURE! The dough was SUPER-DE-DUPER runny and it never rose properly (due to my error. The recipe didn't specify the type of yeast, but I should have known that it needed instant. I had active dry and should have proofed it first.).

That was yesterday. Today was a new day that called for a new recipe.

I actually ended up using a brioche type recipe from my Kitchen Aid Manual. It turned out splendidly. The rolls were a nice texture, they weren't overdone, and the whole pan cooked evenly. The only thing I'll change next time is add a little more cinnamon/sugar to suit Matt's taste buds.

Basic Sweet Dough
Ingredients
3/4 C. low fat milk
1/2 C. sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C. butter
2 packages (or 4 1/2 tsp.) active dry yeast
1/3 C warm water
3 eggs, room temperature
5 1/2-6 1/2 C. all-purpose flour

To turn it into cinnamon rolls:
1 1/2 C brown sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 cube softened butter

Directions
  1. Dissolve yeast and 1 Tbsp of the sugar in warm water in the mixer bowl. Let it proof while going to step 2.
  2. Place milk, the rest of the sugar, salt and butter in small saucepan. Heat over low until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cool to luke warm.
  3. Add lukewarm milk mixture, eggs, and 5 C flour. Attach bowl and Dough Hook to mixer. Turn to Speed 2 and mix about 2 min.
  4. Continuing on Speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 C. at a time, and mix about 1 1/2 mints, or until dough starts to clean sides of bowl. Knead on speed 2 about 2 min. longer.
  5. Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover, and let rise in warm place about 1 hour, or until doubled.
  6. (My instructions to get this dough to cinnamon rolls) Roll out to a decent sized rectangle, spread butter all over, sprinkle cinnamon and sugar mixture all over the top.
  7. Roll up and slice into 1 1/2 in. rolls with floss.
  8. Place in greased metal baking pan with a little room to expand. Cover them and let them rise another hour or so.
  9. Bake in a 350* oven on the 4th rack from the bottom for 14-15 min. (That's how it was for my oven at least. Every oven's a little different.)
I used the frosting recipe from this recipe. Yum.

The Kitchen Aid had a good (second) maiden voyage run.

8 comments:

Brooke said...

Um...that looks SOOOOOOOOOO good...I want one...right now... Please... :) I haven't figured out cinnamon rolls yet. But, this gives me a little more motivation to try again.

Erin said...

Oh, I love me some good cinnamon rolls! I have an awesome recipe I've been using for years. Congrats on the success and the maiden voyage...didn't you just love it!??!?

Lindsay said...

Mmmm...yum....

Okay, so I have another question for my All Wise Baking Blogger Friend: What exactly does it mean to "proof"? Obviously, my bread skills have yet to be honed, and this seems like a good place to start.

Juls said...

I have a simply divine recipie if you would like to compare...really I think I can eat the whole pan :) You know how I love my breads

Juls said...

okay I know you didn't ask for it, but here it is

1/2 C warm water
1/2 C melted shortening
1 1/2 C warm milk
2 beaten eggs
4 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs yeast
2 tsp salt
5 c flour

Mix for 10 min in kitchen aid or by hand until smooth. Rise until double. Divide into two balls. Roll to 1/3 in thick. Butter and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll and cut into rolls. Bake 10 minutes at 425.

Butter Cream Frosting
1 LB powder sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 C hot milk (30 sec in microwave)
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 c soft margarine

beat until smooth & creamy

YUM. It is a great rainy day, I should have made some. I use these as my christmas goodie.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Brooke, don't give up! There's hope for your cinnamon rolls!!

Erin, I did love it. The only thing I wished were different was the size of the whisk. I wish they actually reached the bottom of the bowl so when I made the icing, it didn't leave a layer of powdered sugar along the bottom untouched. But overall, it gets an A.

Lindsay, proofing is when you mix your yeast with warm water (110*), and a little sugar. You let it sit for about 5-10 min. The yeast feeds on the sugar. If your yeast is good and the water temp is right, it will bubble and froth. If it's not, it won't. It's proof that the yeast is good. (I don't really know if that's why it's called proofing, but it makes sense to me.) You don't have to do that with instant yeast. Just active dry.

Ha. Thanks Juls.

becki said...

so does this mean that if i don't have a kitchenaid i'm exempt from ever making cinnamon rolls? and just get them from friends???
i'll be waiting for your next batch!! congrats on your baking achievement!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Na. I just got the recipe from the KitchenAid book. That's why it's all about the kitchenaid.