Thursday, July 31, 2008

Celebrating


This year Matt deviated from his traditional Safeway cake with raspberry filling. I think it was because of my "half sheet" debacle from last year. (I ordered a half sheet when I should have ordered a 1/4 sheet. We had to freeze a lot of cake and we were eating the rest of the cake for months after his birthday!) When I asked if he wanted me to make him a cake, he said, "No, you'd make me anything I want if I asked any old day. My birthday is the only day I can justify buying something from a bakery."

So, he chose a coconut cream pie. Something I've tried but never yet got a handle on. It's his #2 pie. (Pecan is #1, but I make it every year for Thanksgiving...) We got it from The Pantry. Let me tell you, at $16.50 it was a rip off. The crust tasted/looked exactly like the disgusting pre-stamped pie crusts you can get in the freezer section of your local grocery store. I wouldn't be surprised if that's just what it was. I was anything but impressed. The filling was good, but I'm just not sure it was $16.50 good!

The birthday boy.

(Thanks Lady Steed and Th. The shirt is very cool.)

5 comments:

Lady Steed said...

Sorry the birthday pie sucked. Theric bought me a pie for my birthday from a local bakery and it too was expensive, $20 to be exact. Fortunately it was delicious....my mouth it drooling just thinking about it. But it's very hard to justify a pie that costs that much.

randa_joy said...

Should have got him a pie from Trappers while you were in Snowflake. My fave is lemon cream but I hear the coconut cream is good too and I think they're only $8. O well, Happy b-day to MAtt!

Emily said...

I was not that impressed with pie from the pantry either... a store bought crust is not worth $16.50. I would have gone for your blueberry with the stars on top.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Yes, L.S., your pie looked delicious. I'm glad it was.

Randa, can you believe I've only eaten at Trappers once in my life? But 8 bucks! That's a deal.

Em, thanks for your confidence in my pie skills.

Brooke said...

I love the last pic of you two! So cute! Stinks about the nasty pie. And...you've only eaten at Trapper's once? Are ya kidding me!? I LOVE that place! And...the pie IS great there!