Wednesday, July 16, 2008

3 more months...

Well, I am very pro-breastfeeding till kids are 1 year when it's possible. I know it's not possible for everyone, but if it is, I think it's a great thing. 1. It's healthier 2. It's cheaper 3. It's cheaper (big thing in my book, obviously) 4. I feel it's convenient, though I know not everyone agrees with me. I never have to tote around formula or bottles etc.

HOWEVER, I really wish that Dean took some sort of bottle (or sippy) since nursing in the car is NOT convenient. He refuses to drink out of anything other than a regular cup (or my boob) for some reason, so it looks like we'll be stopping every 3-4 hours to nurse on our regularly 14 hour trip (I have a feeling it will be more like 15-16 hour trip with Dean) home to Snowflake.

I thought it was going to be hard for me to stop nursing him when the time came to wean (and maybe it will be), mainly because I'm so for it, but recently I have come to terms with it. His teeth make a big difference. He actually never bites me, but they are sharp and still cut me while he's sucking now that he has two teeth both on top and bottom and more on the way. He's actually very tuned into me. Today when I was wincing (I didn't say anything or really move, but just tensed up a bit), he stopped nursing and looked at me like, "are you all right?"

So, three months I will endure a little pain and then we will wean. Hopefully by then we can get him to use a sippy.

9 comments:

Rubalcavas said...

I hear you about the car rides...we will soon be making a 30 hour car ride...I'm not looking forward to it.

becki said...

have fun on your trip. I'm a breastfeeder too, but didn't have enough milk to get past 6 months on my 1st one-and only did a few months for my next 2. You are my hero for going for the full year. Hang in there.

Maren said...

Have a good trip! Hopefully it won't be as bad as you think. I have done several road trips with nursing babes and it worked out fine to nurse whenever we stopped for gas. Also, I don't know if you have tried this or not but I remember Jess telling me that her sister used to nurse in the car while both her and baby were strapped in. I was like "What?!". Let me tell you that out of desperation one trip I tried it...and it worked! Not the most comfortable thing in the world, but it did work in a pinch. hee hee hee. I thought I would never do that!

-Laura- said...

Awesome! I say the longer you can go the better...okay...but not when your kid is two or three and can ask for it. :)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Oh man ness, 30 hours is a killer! New baby and two other kids. I hope you have a little TV to distract them!!

Becki, we almost had a scare at 8 weeks when my doc told me I could go on birth control pills while still breastfeeding. It TOTALLY decreased my milk supply and took almost a month after stopping the pill to get back to a good flow and non-hurting nipples.

Mar, I can't see how nursing while in the car is even humanly possible. I'm way too short and his carseat's way too big!! If I could, though, that would be awesome.

Laura, my cousin posted a video of a Brittan fam. who let their kids decide when they wanted to be weaned. One was 5 when she stopped! One was 6 or 7 and the third was 8 and still nursing!!!! It was totally weird to see such a large person suckling at the breast.

Erin said...

I really feel for you. We had problems with weight at the very beginning so I was told to give Anna some formula. It wasn't exactly what I wanted to do but at least it got her used to a bottle. She very easily switched between both.

About the British mom...I saw that video too and was totally grossed out! Especially when the kids say it tastes better than mango. In their minds, they want to nurse because they thought it was a good treat. Unfortunately the mom can't see the difference.

Kristeee said...

Good for you. I was all for breastfeeding until 1 year (or until the teeth got too much to bear), but everything worked against me (including the NICU nurses) and I stopped at 6 weeks for my mental health.

Formula is stinkin' expensive, though. Especially if you have to have a higher-calorie formula for any length of time. We've spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars (I wonder how many hundreds?) so far.

In So. Illinois there was a lady in our ward who was very . . . granola is a good word to describe her. She had her 4-5 year old daughter come up to her in church one day, start lifting her top, and saying, "Titty milk, Mama, titty milk." I say, once they can ask for it, it's time to wean!

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

man, I'm sad i didn't catch you before you left, but hopefully this will help for on your way back. . .we just drove out there and it took us only 12 hours! We drove through the night and took turns driving and the boys stayed asleep for like 6 hours at a time, so that is how we will be travelling from now on!

Becky said...

My second is 14 months, and almost weaned. I feel for you with the teeth thing. Even though they don't bite, you still end up with teeth marks. Both of my kids had a really hard time accepting a sippy cup, but once they got used to it, they were fine. They also hated bottles and binkies. Skin on skin type of kids. It's been great never having to wean off a binky though.