Tuesday, July 08, 2008

A mother's worst nightmare

I'll just tell you right now that this story turned out with a happy ending. But I have been on the verge of tears just thinking about it all day long!

My B.I.L.'s 3 year old nephew went missing last night. They had just finished family home evening and were eating their treat. The little boy went on the front porch to eat his. Less than 5 min. after he got his treat, they went out to check on him and tell him it was time to get ready for bed.

But he wasn't there.

So they looked all through the house and all around the house.

He wasn't there.

After looking everywhere they could possibly think of, they called the police and church members. They had neighbors out helping them look. They had infrared lights checking nearby ponds. Unfortunately he doesn't really talk much yet, so even if he heard people calling for him, he wouldn't be likely to call back.

12 hours later, once it was light again, they found him about 1 mile away in a corn field.

He was a little confused and disoriented, but otherwise ok. Thank the Lord for answered prayers.

*UPDATE: If you want to hear more about this story and tips for what to do if this happens to you, read Hollywood's account of the story.

8 comments:

Erin said...

Oh my word! That is so horrible! He spent the night in the corn field? Did he walk over there? That is so scary, I'm glad that everything turned out well and hope he doesn't have any repercussions from that horrible ordeal.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Yeah, so far as I know he spent the night in the corn field and walked to where they found him.

Brian & Veronica said...

oh man, i'm so glad he's o.k. yes, you're right. that is my worst nightmare. although if it ever does happpen, i hope we have this ending too. at least they found him and he's doing well. man, you turn your head for a second. that's all it takes. poor kid.

becki said...

oh, i'm SO glad he's ok. and he's so young! my 4 year old would freak out! what a blessing and relief he is home.

Tom and Audrie said...

I'm glad he is okay. I've lost mine for just a few minutes and I freak out I couldn't imagine all night long.

Emily said...

Oh my goodness, what a nightmare. I am so glad it all turned out okay. But still, a nightmare to all involved.

Ashley Canady said...

That is terrible! So glad they found him. That is so one of my worst nightmares.

Sands...Like Sands on the Beach said...

12 hours!? when i 'misplace' one of mine for like 5 minutes, it seems like hours. . .even with the disclaimer that there was a happy ending my heart was banging during that story. . .so glad everything turned out the way it did!