Sunday, April 30, 2006

The Bras(s) Clan Curse

I must first preface this by saying we had a wonderful graduation weekend and it was great fun to have family here.

However, a trip taken by the members of the Bras(s) clan would not be complete without something bad happening. It's a curse they warned me about when we got married. I used to be a doubter; now I'm a believer.

My husband told me that growing up they never went on a vacation without something bad happening. Big car troubles tended to be the most frequent curse visitation, though sickness and a few other "symptoms" were manifested occasionally.

A couple "for instances":
  1. The Thanksgiving before we were married the Bras(s) parents drove here and had bad car troubles. They had to rent a car while theirs was in the shop here in Provo.
  2. Last Christmas while we were in CA, a tree fell on a powerline cutting off all power only to their street. Then after that was fixed, the power went out again the next day (on New Year's Eve) for some other reason. Nothing like spending New Year's Eve in a pitch black house while a house one street up had every single light on...rubbing it in our faces. Jerks.
  3. When we went to Guatemala last year I got giardia and Matt had something similar, plus we had to take him to the emergency room the morning after we got back for "inflamation of the intercostal tissues of an unknown cause."
This time around I thought the curse would be satisfied with Lady getting a gastro-intestinal virus and having to go to urgent care at the end of the week. The Big O also had a cough and wasn't feeling quite himself. But no. The curse was much more powerful. We just got a phone call from Lady and Th. and they were in a wreck today. Everyone, thankfully, is ok. Though I'm a little sketchy on the details, they were T-boned on the driver's side. The car is still drivable but the driver's side is completely smashed up. Yikes...

(Now, if you are a reader of their blogs and you heard about this before they told you, don't go bombarding them with questions...Make them think you heard it from their mouths first.)

I am glad we have a car carrier taking our car to TX for us this week, just in case the curse decided that wasn't enough Bras(s) clan calamities. Now we must just pray our plane doesn't get high-jacked or something...

5 comments:

Lady Steed said...

Oh how I hate the Brass Clan Curse. If onoly I knew how to make it go away.

Yes, we are all ok. Theric has a huge bruise on his leg. I hope that really is all it is.

We'll continue on home in the damaged vehicle tomorrow morning. Hopefully all will be ok on the trip back, even if there is no driver side window.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Oh, man. I thought you were already home! And no driver's side window!

I think we decided driving anywhere greatly increases the chances of the curse taking a hold upon anyone. Just a lot more time for something bad to happen.

Anonymous said...

We had a great time this weekend with all the Steed-Brasfield fam. I hope there will be post here when three unlucky travelers actually arrive home.

We had a rock hit a side window while driving on a freeway in California a few years ago. The window immediately disintigrated into a million pieces. We taped some plastic over it with duct tape and made it home, feeling a bit embarrassed about the appearance of the car. But we just didn't have time to stop and have it fixed there.

Did all the medication kick in to give you a illness-free trip home?

B.G. Christensen said...

The Thteeds left Vegas a little before 2pm. I'm worrying now too. Email me--bgchristensen(at)gmail.com--if you hear anything or I can do anything.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

They're home safely! for further details, read here.