Saturday, April 22, 2006

Cell Phones

I watched a Myth Busters the other day comparing cell phone use while driving and drunk driving. The ultimate result was they did worse driving while talking on the phone than being just under the legal limit for alcohol consumption. The big difference, though, is you can put the phone down if you're in a tough situation, while you can't "just quit" being drunk.

This aside, I think that Matt and I are two of the last Americans (man, woman, and child included) without cell phones. I had one once, but it's just so hard to justify one other expense, especially sicne we have a land line. We've glancingly concidered getting a cell phone when we move, but I don't have the slightest clue where to begin. The only thing I do know is Nextel is out. New Haven uses those at work and they are infuriating. Any suggestions? What do you use? Is it worth it?

If I do get a phone, I'll probably not answer it while I'm driving. An advanced warning.

7 comments:

FoxyJ said...

Hmm, and I thought we were the last two Americans left without them. Maybe we should form some kind of club. I'm still pretty resistant to getting one, especially since we're usually pretty easy to find and I don't want people finding me sometimes. It's just not in our budget and probably won't be for some time.

Anonymous said...

we have one for "emergency only" it is a tracfone. We paid 100$ for the phone and 250 minutes and a year of service. Aaron uses it when he is on call between here and the hospital. I think I will get one for me though. It has been a good security blanket when I am going somewhere by myself and the three little ones!

Anonymous said...

Cell phones are wonderful. Once you both have one you will wonder how you ever managed without one. I suggest Verizon. They have some good incentives including free from one Verizon phone to another. Hint: I have Verizon. :}

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I hear ya foxy. However, it would have been nice to have when I locked my keys in the car this morning. We're mainly thinking of getting one so we can have a number for the moving trucks and car carrier to call. If we can get a land line soon, we may avoid the cell phone a little longer.

Th. said...

.

We're in the club too!

Anonymous said...

We love cell phones. We each have one and the land line is no more. I'm changing providers however. You need to be sure who ever you go with covers every where you go. And that whole free phone to phone thing is wonderful.

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

I have Verizon and they have really great customer service--not that I've had to call a lot. They also have LG phones, which are really good.