Wednesday, April 26, 2006

It's finished

Well, I've turned in my keys and hung up my apron (so to speak). Today was my last day, though last night the real goodbyes were said.

One of the supervisors asked if I would help teach the girls how to make fruit pizzas before I left and wondered if I could stay late yesterday. How could I say no? So, I stayed through dinner and cut up a lot of fruit in preparation. Then at 6 PM, when I am supposed to start the little cooking class, I hear "surprise" and balloons start falling from the loft above. The girls gathered 'round me, and my cute little "Bubba" handed me a stack of homemade cards and a gift card for $60. The girls had done extra work around New Haven to earn money for a house-warming gift for me! When she handed me the card she said, "It's a gift card to Target. Karen (the Recreational Therapist) said it wasn't tacky." =) So cute.

When a girl finishes the program they hold what is called a "transition." The girls all sit in a circle and everyone tells her what they've enjoyed about her or what they remember most about her. Then at the end they "support her one last time" as they all pick her up and literally hold her flat in the air, swaying, as a song plays in the background. When it comes to the chorus, they lift her high in the air above their heads and then bring her back down to stomach level for the next verse. In my 2 1/2 years there I've never known them to hold a transition for a staff. But they did it for me.

I started crying when I realized what was going on. I had no idea they had me there under false pretenses. The girls had organized the party and had even sent out "secret underground" invitations. For about an hour they went around and said nice things about me. Then at the end the "supported me" one last time. Sometimes I questioned whether or not I made a difference there, but I really felt at the end of it that I had. One of the girls parents sent me a big bouquet of beautiful flowers and called in to say goodbye. The staff that worked that night also got me a nice bouquet of lilies and balloons. I don't think I've ever had so many flowers in my life. =)

Though I've had my ups and downs there, and wanted to quit a time or two, I'm glad I've stayed there until now. I love the group of girls we have right now, and it's been a really good job for me. I've learned a ton of important life skills (cooking skillz, nun-chuck skillz, patience, time management, dedication, processing skills, how to hold boundaries and give consequences if necessary, patience, etc. Did I say patience?).

I'm sad to leave, but I'm excited to move on. I, unlike my husband, generally welcome change. I get excited to try new things and go new places.

Goodbye New Haven, goodbye.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

so nice when others know that you have made a difference in their lives. I bet this is the first time a lot of them have had cooking with love as an ingredient. See you tomorrow!! Wahoo.

nanci said...

Hey celia, I have enjoyed checking into your bolg every once in awhile, its like our chats on the weekly run. I am excited for you guys to move on and will continue to check in on you. Nanci

Mizike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mizike said...

I was hoping to be able to welcome you guys when you finally made it to Dallas. Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be in Dallas for some time.

When you get some time, take an afternoon and drive to Fort Worth to visit Central Market (http://www.centralmarket.com/cm/cmLocation.jsp). Dane and I love going there and seeing food we've never heard of before.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Nanci: I've started running again. I've missed having a partner. Good luck with having your baby...it's May 5th, no?

Mizike: It's nice of you to even think of welcoming us in TX. You and Skyprincess' lives are crazy, though, so I didn't expect it. Thanks for the tip about the market.