Thursday, April 06, 2006

Injured

I don't know what I did, but man do I hurt. My right shoulder is killing me. It hurts just sitting here. It hurts to lift it up. It hurts to rotate my arm. I know it has something to do with yoga, but I don't know if it's a pulled muscle or something worse...probably just a pulled muscle. I thought it was just a sore muscle yesterday so I had a full hour and a half work out on it. Today it feels much worse. The Tuesday practice in which I would have obtained the injury wasn't even that hard, so I don't know why it would have caused me this much grief.

It kind of reminds me when mom had burcitis. I think I was in 5th or 6th grade and it was a little scary seeing mom, who was normally so active and not detered by anything, hurting so badly. I remember she couldn't lift her arm over her head and she cried a lot. It seemed to last forever.

I hope that's not what I have because that means I probably shouldn't do yoga for awhile...

But I only have 2 1/2 weeks left before it's over and then I'm moving to TX where it's WAY more expensive. *sob*

4 comments:

BWaterman said...

be careful about doing yoga on pulled muscles. i've thought before that doing yoga on a sore muscle might help it out, but a really good teacher told me it's a big mistake--you can really hurt yourself. my suggestion would be to find a cheap massage. aren't there still some massage schools in provo whose students offer ridiculously cheap massages?

count yourself lucky: i'm sure yoga is cheaper in dallas than in ny. i count myself pretty lucky to find sessions for under $20.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

maybe i'll get me a cheap massage for my birthday...

Yes, I should count myself lucky. It's just so hard going from FREE! Since I'm a TA I don't have to pay for yoga or any aerobics class at BYU. The TX rates are as follows:

Drop In $12
Class card 6 classes $66
Class card 12 classes $120
Unlimited monthly $90
3 months unlimited $225
6 week Pilates series $54

Anonymous said...

from the Mom-

At the risk of sounding stupid, what are pilates? I hear people talking about this form of exercise all the time but I haven't a clue.

If your shoulder still hurts in a week or so you should have it checked by a doctor for a torn rotator cuff. (that's probably not spelled right but my guess is Dr. Aaron is not reading this.)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

The following is a brief summary of pilates from wikipedia:

[Joseph] Pilates created what is claimed to be a method of total body conditioning that emphasizes proper alignment, centering, concentration, control, precision, breathing, and flowing movement (The Pilates Principles) that results in increased flexibility, strength, muscle tone, body awareness, energy, and improved mental concentration.
Instead of performing many repetitions of each exercise, Pilates preferred fewer, more precise movements, requiring control and form.

If you want the whole article, go here