Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Kitchenly Challenged

Some people are just plain kitchenly challenged. I'm not quite sure if it's a result of ignorance or incompetence or a little bit of both.

I try really hard to leave easy last minute things for staff to do for dinner. If I leave something harder than "put this in the oven at 4:15 and take it out at 5," I try and leave really explicit instructions. There is one shift, however, that remains completely kitchenly challenged despite the effort I make.

A fire truck ended up at New Haven last night. Luckily, it was just an inordinate amount of smoke rather than any fire. I'd left hamburgers to cook on a stovetop grill. They apparently cooked them on a high heat, even though it was smoking like crazy. Through the billowing smoke they didn't turn down the heat nor did they open any windows or doors. It was eventually a student who turned on the microwave vent fans. Additionally they didn't answer the phone when the alarm company called after it had gone off. Hence, the fire truck.

Am I wrong or would common sense help one avoid a situation like this?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

DUH! Anyone knows that grease smokes when it gets hot! Ha funny story!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Haha. I actually had an old roomate do the same thing. I don't think we had a working smoke alarm though. I was just astounded because she did things like that all the time.

Lady Steed said...

I like that you just made up a word.

I am having a hard time beliveing this really happened.

It's sad that there are such people who are not just challenged but Kitchenly Stupid.