Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Tricks caught video: Kinesthetic series

Viewer Beware!!
Some of these videos feature a frustrated protagonist, so unless you want to hear a slightly whiny baby, turn down your sound!


Dean is learning new tricks every day it seems. I took these at the end of last week and decided I needed to post them quick since they'll be outdated soon! He knows what he wants to do, but he gets very frustrated when it doesn't goes as planned. He has great hand-eye coordination and I've been searching for a good, grip-able ball for him. His favorite toy right now seems to be the Learn and Groove Music Table (thanks Audrie!). The main thing that frustrates him about it, though, is there is only one page to turn on the "book" in the middle of the table.

Here is a list of new tricks gained around his 7 month mark (for journaling purposes):
  1. Pull to stand, both with people and things. Mainly people still, though.
  2. Standing on his own holding onto something other than mom
  3. Rolling over from back to front (he still is frustrated on his tummy, but he ends up there all the time now!)
  4. Grabby, grabby! I might have to start wearing contacts again!! He sees things he wants and goes after them with a vengeance. He also loves to stroke my hair when he's nursing.
  5. From a sitting position he walks forward with his hands till he ends up on his stomach
  6. Scrunches up his face when he's unhappy (wrinkles his nose and purses his lips)
  7. Occasionally waves hi and bye (though he often gets confused and claps instead)
  8. So close to crawling. Or at least it seems like it. I know he wants to, but he just can't quite get his body off the ground.
  9. Circular reactions (has a toy, chews it, throws it, gets the toy, chews it, throws it, etc.)
  10. He's a little dare devil. He loves when I jump him up and down (Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam is a hit song right now), and he kicks and lifts his legs while he's up in the air. He goes crazy in his jumperoo, and he's quite coordinated with his little feet. He loves swinging high at the play ground. He loves hanging upside down. And he LOVES sitting on my shoulders (I think he likes that one so much because he likes to eat my hair...).
  11. He can walk in a forward direction while holding our fingers. He used to only go backward.
  12. I never find him in the same place in his crib as I left him.
  13. We have to be really careful with him up in high places. If he's on our laps, the changing table, couches, chairs, etc., he is so intent on reaching for things that catch his eye he'll just "jump" right off!

Pull to stand

Bounce and kick. My new arm workout.

Trying to crawl

Learnin' and Groovin'

Jump, jump, jumperoo!

3 comments:

Jodi Reeve said...

I am always amazed how fast kids learn.

I am having the same sleeping problems, not at night, but nap time. I don't know if it is the start of teething or what, but I go crazy when he naps a total of an hour a day because then he is just cranky. Good luck!

Lindsay said...

Go, Dean, go! He's getting so big!

We have an excellent grip-able ball that Garrett loves. It's called the O Ball, and we found it at Toys R Us.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

THanks so much for the link lindsay! My nephew got one of those for Christmas and I've been trying to find it somewhere but I didn't know the name. Thanks!