Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Baby Scheduling Do-si-do

It goes like this: One step forward, two steps back.

Remember when I said I could put Dean down by the clock for naps and that nighttime sleeping was super-de-duper?

Well, ever since his surgery naps have been battles and he's been waking up more frequently at night. Boo.

My theory is that it's worsened because he stopped sucking his fingers. He stopped sucking because his mouth hurt so badly I think. Now that it's healed, he's forgotten about those nice little resources on his hand.

So, we've had to do some more sleep training, but mainly we're having a hard time deciding when he really needs me. Before I was only going in at 4-5 AM because he wasn't waking up before then. Now that he's waking up earlier (sometimes as early as 10:30), he seems hungry when/if I go in then. He actually eats. He doesn't just want to play. If I let him cry himself back to sleep, he goes much longer now and is much more desperate. He used to put himself back to sleep in min. with his fingers. It can take over an hour now.

So, I feel like we're digressing and it's frustrating.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Don't panic. It's probably just a major growth spurt. He'll get back to normal soon.

Sarah Pace said...

I feel for ya! it always happens that way. They get into a good routine and then something like surgery happens or a hospital stay in my case that just throws them off course! It will get better i promise!

Lindsay said...

Sleep training. Good times. And it doesn't seem to end. Once you've got a good system going, something happens to switch it all up. Sickness, travel...newfound mobility. Like right now, for instance. Even as I type this, Garrett, even though he's been tucked into bed for the night (several times), has just discovered the usefulness of standing up in his crib and yelling to get our attention, in the hopes, I'm assuming, that we'll come rescue him. Sigh. Things will never be the same around here now that he's figured this out. :) But good luck with Dean!