Saturday, June 07, 2008

The hard-hearted harbinger of haggis

Since I alluded to So I Married an Axe Murderer in my last post, I thought I might as well carry on the theme.

I ate haggis. Matt wanted to try it since he'd never had it; I just had to try it as well so I could say "I ate haggis." It wasn't as disgusting as I envisioned.
Today I also ate Scottish Meat Pies, deep fried Mars bars, and shortbread. (Fried Mars bars really are big in Scotland.) The Mars bars were probably the best of the "food". Way better than normal Mars bars. The meat pies were good, but OH SO PRICEY! (As was everything else we bought at the Scottish Games today.) Man you have to pay through the nose for limited-time specialty items.
Dean was so good the whole day! He even fell asleep while we were listening to a Scottish rock band playing really loudly. He must have been reeeeaaaally tired.

We browsed the tents, listened to good Scottish music (though we sadly missed the bag pipe competition since it was in the evening), sat through a presentation on Scottish castles, and watched a few games. And we can't forget the aforementioned food. We were disappointed that they didn't have any cool imported candies like they do at other Scottish Game venues.

9 comments:

Erin S. said...

That looks like a ton of fun! Christian and I might have to go next year!

Erin said...

I'm totally jealous. I really want to go to one of those things some time.

Lois said...

Haggis? What's that?

Emily said...

What exactly is Haggis?

Looks like fun, have you been to the Texas State Fair yet? They have fried everything, but prices start at about $5, crazy! I stood in line for over an hour to get a fried snickers bar, and after I paid my $5 and took a bite decided it wasn't worth it! ;)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Haggis is a traditional Scottish dish made out of: sheep's heart, liver, and lungs mixed with minced onion, oats, spices and broth.

It was sick. Just not as sick as I expected. And I only had a little tiny bit so I could say I tried it.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Oh, and Em, everything did start around $5. TOTAL rip off, but when else would we be able to try a fried candy bar? It was an indulgence for sure.

Th. said...

.

Maybe it didn't taste as disgusting as expected, but it looks WAY more disgusting than imagined.

Lindsay said...

Haggis? Okay, you are way braver than me.

Erin said...

I love So I Married and Axe Murderer so I love the title of your post. It looks like such a fun day! I love those types of things. Dean sounds like an excellent little guy to go through such a fun filled day.