Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Things that make me smile

1. I almost never open Dean's bedroom door when he's sleeping. He's such a light sleeper he'll usually wake up from the slight noise of the door handle. Today I had to go visiting teaching and was a little late because of his nap. I opened the door (at the time I was supposed to be there) and got to watch him for a few minutes before he woke up. This is what I found:

It was just too cute. He often "reads" his books (you can see one open by him) and plays with his animals (I often find them stuffed in the corners of the bed), and talks to himself, and fake laughs, and knocks on the wall while he's prepping himself for sleep. It's fun to see how he actually positions himself for sleep.





2. I got an email today saying I was this month's winner for page in a bag! I was a bit surprised since I didn't use the paper like it was intended. They also offered me an position on their design team. I'm not sure what that entails, and it freaks me out a bit because I feel I'm not that creative. I seriously have to research other people's ideas to scrapbook because I just don't see layouts easily on my own. So, I'm not sure if I'll accept or not. Plus, then I'd feel like I shouldn't do the page in a bag and I really like doing it...

3. Gas is down to $3.27 right now. Funny how we feel about the price is relational to it's recent pricing. When I got my first car (the sube) in 2000, gas was around $1.15 a gallon. When we got married in 2003 it hit it's first spike and went above $2. People were mortified and were posting the ARM and LEG signs. When we moved here in 2006 it was $2.50. Regular Unleaded never quite got to $4/gal. here this year, but it was close. So, even though it's still pretty outrageous, I'm smiling it's at least going down and heading in the right direction for now.

4. Dean's been, on average, a really happy and funny boy. His ability to crawl quickly has much improved his temperament. He's been laughing a lot recently, often "fake" laughing at random times. He babbles tons. I really love when he talks under his breath, like he's trying to test out sounds before he actually makes them.

5. The other day at bed time he wasn't happy about me undressing and dressing him. Matt got his attention and told him to not whine. It totally sounded like he said, "O.K." and then he turned back to me and started crying again. Matt did it again, and again Dean said what sounded like, "O.K." and turned back to me crying. It was just so funny.

I love being a mom.

Except when I don't.
But you could never know the sweet without knowing the bitter.
So I guess I'll take the bitter because I sure love the sweet!

10 comments:

Juls said...

1. I loved sending the kids to bed with books (until Sarah ate all the spines off the books)

2. That is awesome that they like you ehough to offer you a position! (Even if you don't take the position)

3. Gas is still 3.89 here (and I thought that was good)

4 and 5. That is funny when they start talking.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

J, he's eaten the spines off of most of his board books. The ones in his crib are either REALLY sturdy or books I've "laminated" with packing tape since he'd already chewed them up.

Sarah Pace said...

Your little guy seems to be a hoot! I love it when they have personality! Its true about being bitter sweet. It seems like tasted alot of bitter lately especially with Hailey and athsma and being sick all the time and the constant fighting between austin and aubrey but I sure missed them ALOT while we were gone and I sudenly remembered the sweet!! I didn't know Matt served in Philly also! Crazy!! So you know the love for RITA!!!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Sarah, he really is just BRIMMING with personality!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Boo! Gas went up since I wrote this!! It's now $3.38. Wrong way gas people! Wrong way!

The Drapers said...

HI,
Dean is getting so cute. I just love being a Mom to. I look at Lily everyday and feel so blessed to have her. I never thought I would feel this way about being a Mom.. Anyhow enough heartfeltness (is that a word) On a lighter note our gas is still 3.89 what the heck is going on in Utah!!!

Kristi said...

How fun that he reads himself to sleep. Katelyn will sing to herself until she conks out and I think it's totally precious.

The disgusting thing about gas (ours being 3.89) is that ours here is 85 octane and yours is probably 87.

Lindsay said...

I love walking in on Garrett when he's asleep. The last few nights he's woken up around 4:30 and will only go back to sleep if he's in bed cuddled with us (the culprit? another tooth showed up yesterday). When he sleeps with us, he usually cuddles into Blake, but the other morning he woke up and I was convinced he was up and ready to play. But no. He just wanted to shift his position so that he was cuddled into me. He just sat up, turned over, and nestled right in. I tell you, it was the sweetest thing EVER. Made the long, wakeful night totally worth it.

Jacqui said...

About your going on a trip when Dean's 18 mos. I'd say: DO IT! We used to go on a yearly "just us" trip (thank my blessed mother for watching the kids), but we haven't been able to for the past 3 1/2 years. We got in a 12 day trip to Europe, a trip to Maui and a trip to the Big Island, a business stay in Jamaica and a week-long cruise. Since 2005, however, it's been nada. Two more kids have bee born since then, making it really difficult to get outta here. So, do it while you can. Dean will survive and you'll have a great time!

Gas was $3.76 at Costco and I thought that was good. We are being RIPPED OFF out here. I remember filling up in Georgia in 1997 for $.89 per gallon. 11 years ago.

Becky said...

I just bought gas for $3.76 at Costco too, and I was so excited because it's still $3.85 everywhere else around my house. That's it. I'm moving to Texas!