Monday, August 11, 2008

Out for the Olympics

I tell you what, the TV has never been on so much as it has been the past week (hence my non-blog updates...good for my crafting though since that's what I've been doing during my 4-5 hours stretches in the evening while watching swimming and other such events). I truly love the Olympics. Matt, on the other hand, does not. (He thinks that one competitor from every country should compete in all individual events and see who turns out on top. Sure it might take a year or more, but it would sure be interesting to watch.) I like that it is positive, that you see people who have worked hard and overcome adversity, and that it shows that people can achieve just about anything they set out to achieve. I sometimes wonder how in the world people keep breaking world or olympic records! It seems at some point it will just be beyond human capability to get faster or stronger or whatever.

In 2001 I was living in China while they were bidding for the Olympics. It was fun to see Chinese kids dress up in world clothing, do world dances, and show everyone China's commitment to opening doors that had been closed for a long time. I remember hoping they'd get the bid because of the impact it would have on the rising generation's global perspective. I told myself that if I was in a position to return to China in 2008 that I would. Well, I wasn't and I didn't so the next best thing is to get out old journals, photos and watch the Olympics at home.

Oh, and don't they know how to put on a good show?

Anyway, I hear Dean waking up from his nap.

6 comments:

-Laura- said...

I love, love, love the Olympics too! (And I totally am not one that gets into sports usually.) I think it's really cool that they're in Beijing this year. Kyle spent 6 months in China in 2000 and he said that China basically shuts down for the Olympics because people everywhere are so excited about watching them.

The most productive thing I've done during my nightly Olympic stretches is paint my nails and fold clothes. Crafting sounds way more fun, maybe I'll do that tonight!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Laura, the last olympics I put together an ENTIRE 2 in. scrapbook! (It wasn't ornate or anything, but it was cute enough and I got all my baby pictures transferred out of the acid books.)

So far I don't have much to show for my work. I decided I wanted to try some stitching in my scrapping and it took me FO-RE-VER! Swimming is the best for scrapping because you don't have to watch every second of the race.

-Laura- said...

Whoa, that is awesome! You should get a gold medal for scrapping. :)

Yeah, I've tried stitching some pages too, but gave up. Too much time. But it sure looks cute!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Yeah, from now on if I sew in scrapping it will be with a machine I think. Without being able to use a hoop, it's just too painstaking and long.

Juls said...

I am SO jealous. Maybe we will have a tv in 4 years!

Becky said...

Isn't is great to see the Olympics in China? I still think we can take credit (for Beijing winning the bid) from that dance we performed with the kids when we were on a trip (wasn't that Wuxi?). Such great memories. I need to get out my pics and journals, haven't done that in years.

Gas is $4.05 here. It's only higher in Alaska and Hawaii.