Sunday, August 24, 2008

A little piece of heaven during a hellish sort of night: svithe

This is the second svithe in recent weeks that I've started and not finished, so I figured I'd just finish it even though I don't really feel like posting it anymore since this was from the weekend and it feels a little removed.
-------------------------------------
Every summer we're here I continue to question why we're here. The heat plus humidity are just about unbearable during the hottest part of the summer. When we got back from Snowflake the contrast was almost demoralizing. 106 plus 80+ humidity?! Disgusting.

Last week we got a lot of rain that helped cool us off. The air was thick, but the temperatures were so much more bearable. I didn't mind too much that we couldn't really play outside during the rain because, heck, we can't play outside when it's sunny either!

Saturday wasn't quite so hot as 106, but it was in the 90s and thick by 8am when my friend Erin and I went for a jog. We ran about 6 miles. 6 miles in the 90s feels very long and draining. I don't know if I've ever been so disgusting after a run. Sweat cascading off of me in sheets.

Anyway, our front lawn was in desperate need of a mow, so after getting from our run, feeding Dean and putting him down for a "nap" (which didn't really happen), I mowed. Let me just say that mowing after running 6 miles does not equal fun (even for someone who usually likes to mow), especially when it's so blasted hot.

Well, all that hot outside time left me feeling pretty junky the rest of the day. As the day wore on I wore out and felt worse and worse. Dean was really cranky all day too (was it from being in the stroller in the heat during that long run? I'm so sorry little one...) so by the time evening rolled around I was grateful.

We had our adult meeting of Stake Conference Saturday night. Matt went to his leadership meeting at 4, and I left for the adult session when he got home. I'd just put Dean down to bed and he was having a horrible time going to sleep. He was still crying by the time Erin and I left (and cried almost an hour Matt says!). Erin drove and boy was I glad because I was feeling quite horrible by that time. I nearly didn't go.

But I'm so glad I did! You know, I think it was one of the best church meetings I've ever been to, and do you know why I think that? Because even though I was feeling so crappy with a horrible headache, a nauseous tummy, and an achy body, every single speaker kept my attention. I wasn't just wallowing in my self pity wondering why I didn't stay home in bed. The talks were very personal, personable, touching and relevant.

Emotionally I felt better after going, but I was feeling physically worse. I barely made it through the ride home and tossed my cookies immediately after getting in the house (well, I did make it to the bathroom). That helped a little. I made Matt rub my shoulders and eyes. I still felt pretty horrible, almost too horrible to go to bed, so I asked him to give me a blessing. It really did help. I'm so glad for what I have. The gospel, good friends, a good husband.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are a few things that stood out to me:
What Families Do:
  1. Pray together
  2. Offer mercy and forgiveness to each other
  3. Sacrifice for each other
  4. Serve outside the home together
  5. Temple worship
------------------------------------------
"Don't be dried out by discouragement and doubt. Jesus Christ is already victorious. 'In the world ye shall have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.' (John 16:33)"

The Temple President spoke about how we don't always know why trials come. He told a story about a time when he was Bishop in UT and he went to a special fishing hole with one of his counselors on the counselor's birthday. Unfortunately it didn't go as expected and the man died of a heart attack while they were out. He was 40 and left behind a wife and 4 daughters. A few months later his wife was diagnosed with cancer. The Bishop's wife was really concerned about what would happen to the 4 girls if their mother died as well. He didn't believe that the Lord would take both parents from them, but the wife felt very strongly like they should let the mother know they'd care for the girls if that should happen. They went over to their house as they were leaving they told the mother that while things would hopefully work out for the better, if the unthinkable should happen, they'd be more than willing to to take the girls. She thanked them and said all of her siblings had already offered and that it shouldn't be necessary. That night around 11:30 she called the Bishop's house and asked to speak with them both. She'd prayed about it and wanted to take them up on their offer if they had already prayed about it. They had and she and her lawyer went over that night at 11:30 to change her last will and testament. 5 years later she died and the Bishop and his wife took them in as their own and raised them. Why do things like this happen? We don't always know. What we do know is that the Lord has given us the Plan of Salvation which is a plan of happiness. If we understand the gospel, we will find happiness and solace in the Lord, despite the trials that come.
---------------------------------------------

The next speaker was a convert who'd just been baptized in July. Her testimony and story were amazing. She spoke of her rich, religious, God fearing heritage. Her family and ancestors were very strong Baptists who loved the Lord, the Bible, and really lived their religion. She met this man, a Mormon, who she'd become friends with. While she was concerned that he was a Mormon, she could tell that the spirit of the Lord was strong with him. The more they spoke, the closer they became. One day he said, "You need to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it. If it is true, there's no option but for you to convert. If it isn't true, I'll follow you down your religious path." They got married and had tons of religious discussions, read scriptures together, etc. After reading the Book of Mormon she was praying to know what was right, but he told her she needed to pray specifically about the truth of the Book of Mormon. She didn't want to because she was scared she already knew the answer. Her decision to be baptized was solidified when they were talking about the Plan of Salvation and she realized that though her ancestors were good, righteous, and God fearing people they'd remain in spirit prison* until their temple work was done. She said, "When can I get baptized and when can I go to the Temple?!" Her testimony was very strong. I sometimes find myself wondering why people who already are strong in their faith would see a reason to listen to and open their minds to the gospel as we know it. But if people are really honest about seeking truth, they are willing to listen and many times will find themselves nodding in agreement with what we have to offer.
-----------------------------------------

The next man who spoke had quite the opposite story of the previous woman. He'd joined the church about 10 years ago and for one reason or another is just now getting around to going to the Temple for the first time. He spoke of long and winding paths that lead to the door and how every person's path is different.
---------------------------------------
The visiting General Authority gave a wonderful talk. He based his talk around D&C 121:41 & 45
"No power of influence ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned...and the doctrine of the priesthood will distill upon thy soul as the dew from heaven."
What is persuasion? It is the coming to a meeting of minds and sharing information. It's not coersion. Stop talking about conclusions and start sharing information.

What is longsuffering? Patience. The Lord isn't as interested in changing behavior as he is in changing hearts. When hearts are changed, behavior will follow.

Do away with force and threats and replace them with persuasion and long suffering.

When you're having problems with a spouse or a child, be gentle! People respond to gentleness and kindness.

Have love unfeigned for your children. Little children understand love even if they don't understand English.

He told a story of his 4 year old that wandered all over the place. He once wandered out of the house close to a busy street. People were concerned that this little boy was out on his own so they called the cops. The police picked him up and figured out who he was and called the parents to come get him. The GA decided his kid needed a good stern talking to and really lit into him. About half way through his eyes were looking wide and he thought, "Finally! I'm getting through to him." At the end the dad said kind of gruffly, "Any questions?" The little boy looked up and said, "Dad, were you speaking Spanish?" --Little kids don't understand anger, but they understand love. So, speak the language of love in your homes and you will heal wounds and relationships and bind broken hearts.

How do you handle a [woman, man, child, teenager]? You love them. Tell them you love them, even if it's after they've gone to sleep. Get in the habit of saying it, meaning it, and living it.


*Latter-day Saints believe spirit prison is a temporary state in which spirits (who died without a knowledge of the truth or those who were disobedient in mortality) will be taught the gospel and have the opportunity to repent and accept ordinances of salvation that are performed for them in temples (see D&C 138:30–35)

3 comments:

Brian & Veronica said...

thank you so much for this celia. i feel so lost right now, so out of balance, so lonely and overwhelmed. frustrated that i don't have answers. i feel hope from your messages though. at least hope that one day i'll feel like i've made it, that i actually know what to do about something. thank you.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Well, V, I'm glad I posted it then. I hope it helps through this new phase you're in.

Jodi Reeve said...

Thank you for sharing. Somehow I missed this post a few days ago, but I enjoyed the read and the reminder. I hope you are feeling better too.