Monday, May 22, 2006

With New Eyes

Snowflake holds a lot of history. Not just Mormon pioneer history, but my history. I mean, I lived here in one house for 18 years. That's a long time and a lot of memories.

When I left Snowflake just under 7 years ago, I was very ready to get out and start fresh. I enjoyed growing up here for the most part; I loved people here for the most part; over all it was a great place, but I was very ready for change and to make a new life for myself with a clean slate.

Growing up in a predominantly Mormon town I kind of felt like 1000 Santa Clauses were watching; everyone knew everyone and their kids and what they were doing and who'd been "naughty or nice." I wasn't a horrible kid by any means, but I made my share of mistakes. It's very easy to be paranoid in a small town as a teenager, wondering what other people are saying or thinking about you. (Even though less is often said and thought than we think.)

It's pretty different to come back and see the town through adult eyes. It really is amazing to have grown up in a place with such a sense of community. I can see why people stay here though there really aren't many job options. The community here is like a huge family. You don't always get along with everyone, but overall I think people genuinely care about you and your wellbeing.

I've gotten over my teenage paranoia and I realize that people really loved and love me here. It's a good feeling to know that there are 1000 people (possibly a slight exaggeration) who know you and love you. I don't have to shut people out though I've started a new chapter in life. I couldn't if I wanted to, but I don't want to. This place is a part of me. The people are a part of me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The joys of fully realizing that those that be for us are more than those against us!