Thursday, May 11, 2006

Driving offensively

Since I am the older (and more mature--hehe) person in this marriage, I was elected by the car rental place to be the designated driver this past week. Yikes. Ok, so it hasn't been this bad, but talk about pressure! Maybe it's just me, but I think many women feel a little intimidated driving with their husbands as passengers...

It started off beautifully as we left the car rental place. They had the car reverse parked (with it's tail to the sidewalk and the passenger's side by the curb). When we got in I was going to take a left out of the parking lot, but it was blocked. So, Matt told me to go right, and when I did I took it too sharp not realizing we were so close to the curb on his side. Bump, bump. Oops. I just drove over the curb. The Enterprise people must have been cringing thinking that I had their car for a week. Good thing I opted for the $15/day insurance! Who knows what I am capable of?? =)

When I'm first getting acquainted with an area, I am a little timid when I drive. I don't want to offend anyone and I don't want to get in a wreck or anything. Navigating the streets here is kind of crazy too. Too many one way service streets, and I don't like having to cross over or under the highway just to go the other direction. It's not horrible but it was confusing in the begining. At busy intersections where I'm trying to make a left hand turn I often find myself saying, "The people behind us probably hate me." Matt often replies, "So what? You don't know them, they don't know you. Drive like you own the street. You need to drive offensively." You know, that's a little hard to do when you're driving a Neon. Maybe I should have rented the super sized hummer...

13 comments:

Lady Steed said...

yes, the super sized hummer would have made you feel mighty and strong and all other cars would have quivered in fear at the sight of you, hoping you would not crush them.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Yes. I definitely need one.

Anonymous said...

Hummers come in handy when you need to drive over sidewalks, etc. By the way, what is this creature you have chosen as a picture to represent yourself? Is it 6 legged, one eyed octopus?

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

It is a Monsters Inc. character that shares my name (Celia). It's larger than I would like; I wish it was more the size of Lady Steed's.

Th. said...

.

Try this one.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Thanks Th.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

For nothing that is.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Hmmm...I meant thanks for trying. I'll have to keep looking.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

lets see if this is any better...

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Or maybe I'll just go a completely different route.

Anonymous said...

I kind of like the 6 legged, one eyed oversized octopusish creature. Especially if she shares your name.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Yeah, I like the picture, but the size is just so overwhelming...but what do I care about wasted virtual space?

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»