Friday, May 12, 2006

2:30PM church for the next 2 years???

For you who do not know "Mormon" lingo, I'm sorry. If you're wondering about any of this, you can ask me or wikipedia...

We went to our ward for the first time last week and I have to say, it is HUGE (and noisy)! It's probably the biggest ward I've ever been in. There are almost 600 people, and get this primary people, there are 160 primary kids!! And only one primary (well, one Jr. and one Sr., but you know...). There are at least 8 laurels that I counted, not to mention the rest of the young women. Matt said there were a lot of young men too. They even re-organized their boundaries in January and gave a different ward about 20 families!

I just had a pleasant visit from the Relief Society President and a counselor. The President has been here for 4 years and said that she's an old timer. They have people moving into their ward all the time.

There are 4 wards in McKinney and right now they're all meeting in one building. Our ward meets from 2:30-5:30. Ouch. And I just found out today that we will continue to meet at that time until the new building is built and they split wards. Our ward is the biggest and we have to have the latest time so we have the whole building to ourselves. Blech. They do have a new building site and plans, but they haven't started the actual building phase. I'm crossing my fingers that it goes up quicker than 2 years...

7 comments:

FoxyJ said...

Yikes--big ward and late meeting time. I feel for you. Whenever I hear about wards that big I am so grateful that at least I only have to be in charge of a Primary with 30 kids...

Anonymous said...

you know that there are more callings needed in primary than any orginization. I was in primary for 7 years...if that is your lot then just love it. there are too many people that complain about primary...not that you have a calling yet, but I am sure the president has already requested you for something! love j

Tolkien Boy said...

Wow. It's nice to know there are wards that are growing, too.

Th. said...

.

Wow. That is going to be an experience no matter how it turns out. Enjoy! (said without any sarcasm, but actual sincerity; which explanation makes the opposite seem true, but it isn't! I swear!)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

It should be fine, but 5:30 really is so late to get home...especially on fast sunday...

It'll be interesting to see what callings we end up with. =)

N.F. said...

In our Young Men, we have 5 total, so each week, either the elders or one of the High Priests or something have to either help bless/pass the Sacrament.

This morning in Primary, we had 9 kids total. And that included Junior and Senior!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Wow! 9 kids! Crazy. I guess in our last ward we only had nursery really...quite different from a BYU ward. =)