Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Continuation of the Curse

If you have not read the previous post, click here.

As Matt was running toward me telling me to stop, all I could think of was "Oh great, we missed the plane."

Luckily for us though, our second plane had had mechanical problems (luckily for us??) as well and it was late taking off from Detroit. The flight would be delayed at least an hour, maybe more. This plane, however, was in the air, on the way. Hopefully that meant that we'd be able to board and leave as soon as it got to us and we wouldn't have to sit around waiting for MORE mechanical issues. The people at the boarding gate told Matt that because the flight was late we could go back out through security, get our bags from the carousel, check them, and come back in. So he was telling me to stop running not because of tragic news, but because of some what good news.

As we passed security the guy who'd just checked my bags, he looked at us and said, "What's going on? You guys miss your flight?" After we quickly explained he just shook his head and said, "You're not going to be happy to go through security again..." Extended security once again. Nooooo. Ah well. At least I'd be able to change my clothes the next day. And not have to file a lost baggage claim.

By the time we made it back to the baggage carousel they were pulling off all the unclaimed bags from our flight to make room for the next flight's bags. Whew. Just in time. We got our bags and walked in the rain to the Delta check in to make sure our bags were on our flight. I was in a much better mood since things seemed to be falling into place. I also made an executive decision to just take out my camera and check my carry on so the extended security clearance wouldn't be a disaster repeat. As we were going through security there was a large group of non-English speaking Korean's in the extended line ahead of us. I felt bad for an older guy who couldn't figure out what the heck he was supposed to be doing in the booth that puffs air at you. He actually had to go through three times because he'd move, not leave the booth quickly enough, etc. It made me think that it could have been worse for me! At least I understood English.

Because we missed our flight that meant we'd missed our taxi from the airport to our hotel. I forgot to bring the taxi service's phone number with us. Neither of us have cell phones (curses!) so we had to use the pay phone to call someone with an internet connection to find the number for us. We first tried my mom, but she didn't answer. Luckily Matt's mom was home and helped us find the number. We were able to call the taxi and get a cabbie, thank heavens. I did not want to sleep in the airport that night. We'd been in the airport for 5 hours already and that was enough for me.

The second plane wasn't even half full and it was a direct flight. Good thing too because after all the delays we didn't get into DFW until 12:40 AM. Our cab driver was a funny guy who was passing out candy to all the kids that were coming off our flight. I think only in TX could someone get away with that without the parents freaking out about stranger danger. He also preached to us the whole way to the hotel. He told us about his 12 year sobriety and how his finding God changed everything. He had a phone thing in his ear that kept blinking a bright blue and I had to close my eyes because it was driving me crazy. Matt thought I was sleeping through it all, but I heard every word. That put us at the hotel in McKinney at 1:40 AM.

A long day, but we made it. And later that morning we got our house. The closing went incredibly smoothly for us.

So, in the long run things all worked out and the curse wasn't as bad to us as it was to Th. and Lady. Sorry you guys had to take the brunt of it!

7 comments:

Th. said...

.

Anything for you.

Anonymous said...

Just wait! Texas is a whole new ball game. Your edging into the bible belt out here and you know it in a hurry. But they are good people here. We like it alot. Some times change is a good thing.
Congrat on the new house!!! That is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Thank heavens we got the end of the story! What thing puffs air at you in airport security?

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Th.: Thanks again. =)

Goodlel: It really does seem like a good place. It's funny, I'm used to seeing churches on every corner, but at home and in UT it's just Mormon churches! Here there is a church on every corner and each one is huge and a different sect.

tm: It's only in the extended security. There is a clear phone booth like box you stand in. You have to wait until the air puffs you, the light turns green, and the doors open. I really don't know the point of it.

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»