Thursday, May 18, 2006

On Going Home

Last Sunday we had a Relief Society lesson on Understanding Death and Resurrection. There were some good quotes from President Woodruff:

Without the gospel of Christ the separation by death is one of the most gloomy subjects it is possible to contemplate: but just as soon as we obtain the gospel and learn the principle of the resurrection the gloom, sorrow and suffering occasioned by death are, in a great measure, taken away. (p.82)

A great many [people] believe when a man dies that is the end of him, that there is no hereafter. Can any sensible man believe that the God of heaven has created two or three hundred thousand million spirits, and given them [physical bodies], merely to come and live upon the earth and then to pass away into oblivion or to be annihilated? It is contrary to common sense and to serious reflection.

When mourning the loss of our departed friends, I cannot help but think that in every death there is a birth; the spirit leaves the body dead to us, and passes to the other side of the veil alive to that great and noble company that are also working for the accomplishment of the purposes of God, in the redemption and salvation of a fallen world. (p.80)

The way was opened unto us by the blood of the Son of God. This doctrine of the resurrection of the dead is...comforting, at least to my spirit, to think, that, in the morning of the resurrection, my spirit will have the privilege of dwelling in the very same body that it occupied here.

I got a call from my dad this morning saying that my grandma, his mom, had passed away during the night from a heart attack. Though it was sad, and a little unexpected, my dad felt very blessed at the timing of it because this last week was filled with good times because of Mother's Day. My parents went to the rest home on Mother's day and my dad bragged about her to everyone there; my Aunt was able to take her out to lunch this week; they also feel blessed that my mom suggested to my dad last night that he visit her because it had been a few days. He was able to do a puzzle with her last night.


Her name was Marion Juanita Moore Waterman Grider. Well, those were names she had over the years. Though we're not pregnant nor have kids, we've had quite a few discussions on names we like. Marion is actually the only name we've been able to agree on for a girl. So, one day Grandma, if we have a little baby girl, you will have a namesake.

It's been 8 years since her husband passed away and she's been terribly lonely. She's always been a loving caregiver and it was hard to not have someone to take care of. She lived by herself until her paranoia and alzheimers got to be too much. At the end of last year she moved to a very nice rest home owned by good friends of mine. It was only about 5 miles from my parents' house. That was a huge relief for them because my dad, the wonderful man he is, had driven to the next town over every night the last 8 years to sit with her awhile and say prayers with her. My mom, the wonderful woman she is, would also drive over there almost everyday in the day to take her to get her mail and go to the store. So when she moved closer and the care was distributed among other good people, a little of their load had been lifted.

Her funeral is this coming Wednesday. I'll be flying into Arizona two days from now and staying through Thursday. Sad though the circumstances, it will be very good to see my family and friends. Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Lady Steed said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Though it sounds like her last days were filled with family and love. It's great tht you get to go out for the funeral, for some reason a funeral (at least for me) always provide a great sense of closure and the opportunity to reflect on all that you loved about the person.

Hope you have a safe flight, without any excitment.

PS Eric's grandfather's first name was Marion.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Marion spelled with an "o" has traditionally been regarded as a boy name. But I haven't heard of any boy Marions younger than "grandpa status". I preferred the spelling Marian originally, but Matt liked it with an "o" and that was my grandma's way, so we'd keep it like that.

She was actually the 12th (or 13th?) child in her family and I think they were running out of names. She was named Marion because they lived in Marion county Indianna.

Anonymous said...

It's funny how most of us put off writing a short life story that could be used at a funeral. I know I need to do that. Today the funeral home called to say if we wanted the funeral to be announced in the papers before the event they needed an obituary today before 11:30 AM. I was the only one available to put it together, so in one short hour I reviewed several documents and made a few calls and got it together. This is not the whole life story but a good start. If you want to see it go to owensmortuary.com and look for Marion Grider. As of this minute it is the first one. No doubt, she was one fiesty little lady who faced the hard times of life with determination. And so pretty! She will be missed.

N.F. said...

So very sorry for your loss. I love the idea that you will probably name one of your children after her.

If I'm ever blessed to have children one day, (a boy) I want to incorporate my dad's name, somehow.

Anonymous said...

My dad mother was also named Marian (but with an 'a'). I never knew her though because she died from birth complications with my dad's little brother. Funny that we never caught that before.

I hope you enjoy your time with your family. If I understand the other comments made, Matt also has a Marion on his side of the family then? That makes it an extra good name for one of your kids to be. -j.baird