Wednesday, June 10, 2009

4 more posts to replace

I was just about to leave the house to a goodbye party for one of my best friends who's moving this weekend when Matt said there was a tornado warning. The wind was crazy! The worst I've seen since we've been here. I was glad I heeded his advice not to leave. In a town close by, a semi was blown over! Just as the rain/winds started, I heard a crash in back. I looked out our window and our little blow up pool was just about to blow over our fence. Matt ran out and grabbed it. I pulled in the other small toys that were getting tossed about. The crash I heard was our big propane grill being picked up and blown over! It was probably about 6 ft. from where it normally stands. Most of our front fence was blown over. Poor Matt has 4 more fence posts to replace (unless we just replace that part of the fence professionally...I'll have to price that out tomorrow), and one of them is one he just replaced a few months ago!

This was the first time we decided to pull Dean out of bed for the tornado warning. He'd just fallen asleep about 15 min. before, so I felt horrible taking him out. He cried at first since he was so disoriented, but he got over it soon enough. He was very confused by the pillows and blankets in our master bath and kept saying and pointing "uh oh! ba(th)." He did not want to get into the tub with it like that! We stayed there about 10-15 min. and checked the news to find the worst had passed. We let Dean run around the living room for another 15 min. to make sure it was really ok. He was SO FUNNY! He was literally running circles around our coffee table like a crazy man. Matt was on our couch and every time Dean passed him, he bonked Matt's arm with his head and then held his head and said, "Ouch!". I knew I shouldn't laugh, but it was just so funny!

I was super worried he wouldn't go back to bed since he was so wired, but we went into his room, read two books, and I put him in bed. Not a peep out of him. He didn't cry or make a fuss about it at all. I was so relieved.

5 comments:

Kristi said...

Tornado warnings are exciting, that's for sure. When we lived in IL there were warnings and watches all the time. A few times the sky turned green and we saw funnel clouds in the distance. Good times.

Lois said...

Does a transfer to Tucson seem more appealing right now? Mom

McCain said...

Scary. I remember those. I used to have nightmares about tornadoes when we lived there. Now I get to worry about earthquakes instead. . . we've already felt tremors from one!

Melissa said...

When we lived in Sachse (near Plano) we had lots of warnings and a couple astches, but we never got into the bathtub! We moved from tornados in TX, to hurricanes in PR, now earthquakes in CA. I think we secretly crave the drama!!

Laura said...

Josh is hyper when he's tired or gets out of bed early; tired little kids are so funny sometimes! I'm glad everyone was safe! Good luck with the repairs.