Sunday, March 22, 2009

Family History Wall

I've had my filled out fan chart matted and framed for a while now, but I wanted to get new frames and more old and new family pictures up before I posted this. That is taking so long I figured I'd just post it as is. I may not be able to do tons of Temple work for ancestors right now, but I can at least give them a place in my home!

It was fun to do this. I bought the fan chart for $10 online, filled it out in pencil, traced over it in a zig pen, bought a pre-made frame at Michaels (for about $25 with a half-off coupon), and got it custom matted there as well ($30 something I think). It took a long time to fill out and get up (a year maybe since I didn't work on it all the time?), but I'm really happy with the results. I put Dean's name in the starting circle and left room to put other children in under him. That way I could get both of our families on there. Right now I have a few family pics and a pair of Matt's baby shoes. I need to get pics of Matt's family printed up and framed soon since I have those now.



12 comments:

Kristi said...

That's really cool - I haven't ever heard of or seen a genealogy fan. I've been looking at doing something similar to this, but in greens instead of fall colors, to go with my front room colors. I love the idea of the family history wall, though. I may just have to steal it. :)

Ruth said...

The chart looks great, very well-done! Where online did you find it?

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I got it here. I suggest getting 2 just in case you mess up your first one like me!!

Ruth said...

Thanks!

Juls said...

That looks great!

-Laura- said...

Looks awesome Celia!

leethie said...

Wow! That really does look nice! So did you do both your side and Matt's side as if the main person were one of your children? Also, I'm curious what the gray spots represent.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

We put Dean's name in the circle with room under for future children, so I have both Matt and my families on there. The gray spot is just the camera flash (I think that's what you're referring to).

mad white woman said...

That is really amazing. That might be what I need to make for my mom for Mother's Day... She'd love something like that.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

If anyone does do this, I wrote a "learn from my mistakes" post last year when I started the process.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Haha. Leeth, I totally read that wrong. The gray spots denote the lineage name carriers (if that even makes sense).

J D C and N said...

That is so cool! I love it!