Saturday, March 29, 2008

Learn from my mistakes

I've been filling out my family history fan chart recently and I have to admit that I've made a number of errors! I'm lucky I bought two charts. I thought I'd use one for myself and one for a gift, but it won't transpire quite like that.

So, if you are going to fill out a fan chart in the near or distant future, learn from my mistakes.
  1. When filling out names in pencil, DON'T use a #2 pencil! The tip is super thick and they don't erase very cleanly. They smudge really easily. Get a mechanical pencil with a small tip. I am using a .7mm tip and it works fine.
  2. Before going over your work in pen, double check your facts! This seems very elementary, but I was going off of memory for some of my first names and got some data wrong! There's no white out for this...What I did to try and correct it was cut a small piece of paper from the corner and cover my mistake. I figured it would have a mat anyway, so it wouldn't matter if a little piece of the corner was gone. That worked ok, but it would have been better to do it right in the first place!
  3. Once you get to the vertical name slots, don't write all the names facing the same direction. If you do, half of the names on the chart will appear upside down. Split it down the middle. Start the names on the right side of the chart at the bottom of the box. Start the names on the left at the top of the box. I had 5 generations done in pencil and pen before I realized this mistake last night! (Obviously I'm not a detail oriented gal unless I force myself.)
  4. Even if you're using a non-smudge pen, let the ink dry awhile before you erase your pencil marks underneath.
  5. I bought a couple pens, and the one I liked the best was Zig Memory System .5mm tip. I got it at Hobby Lobby, though they might carry it at Michaels or other craft stores.
  6. Buy 2 charts just in case. If you do it perfectly the first time, you can always use the 2nd as a gift for someone.
  7. If you can't do calligraphy well, do your best "scrapbook" handwriting. If you have really bad writing, or if you're anal about it being uniform and proportionate, there are companies that fill it out for you if you provide your family history and more $$.

4 comments:

becki said...

this is WONDERFUL information to have and when i get that much genealogy done-after christ comes again-i'll make sure to come find you-great tips.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Ha. Becki, I haven't done one lick of actual finding of names. Everything I'm putting on my chart has come from relatives. My grandma's done a ton, my parents, my in-laws. On the Brasfield line there's a non-Mormon genealogist who's even compiled a huge Brasfield database. So, don't be intimidated by family history! It's possible that a lot has been done already.

becki said...

celia-my grandma has done a TON, and i've started to do some and have gone to conferences and LOVE it, but she has some Wrong info, so i feel like i need to double check all of her work.
well, kudos to your fam, for doing great work!

-Laura- said...

Hey Celia, can you send me your email? (lamammen at yahoo dot com)