Thursday, August 02, 2007

Chef of the Month

The wards here in McKinney have been very diligent about having the little Enrichment focus groups when they revised the program and cut ward Enrichment to a quarterly basis. There are groups that meet monthly for scrapbooking/card making, girls dine out, family history, and recipe swap. They are starting a new group called "Chef of the Month". It's where someone actually teaches a little class on how to make a specific dish, dessert, or entire meal. Since I'm in Primary now, I don't see or hear about those groups much, and I'd forgotten all about the fact that I signed up for this until I received a call today.

They want me to teach a little class in two weeks. At my house. With the subject matter of my choosing. I'll be my own little Alton Brown. Or Martha Stewart. Or Rachel Ray. (De-lish!)

Problem is, I'm not entirely sure what I should teach about. I was thinking I might do pizza since some people are a bit skiddish about anything requiring yeast. Maybe a couple small "gourmet" pizzas. Like feta, basil and tomato. And chicken and broccoli alfredo (with a homemade sauce I'd show them as well). And maybe I'd throw in a traditional one. But is that too over done? Does everyone know how to make pizza? I'd probably have some dough made up ahead to work with so we don't have to wait for a rise. And then make a second dough at the "class" so they can see the beginning of the process.

They've only done this once and the theme was Chinese food. So I don't want to do anything Asian. I've also noticed that people here are very hesitant about Indian or Mediterranean food. (You can't BELIEVE the utter lack of enthusiasm/appreciation for hummus here. People wouldn't even TRY it when I made it for something last year.)

I could do a Mexican theme with homemade tortillas. Or something easy like chicken salad sandwiches and other favorite salads. Or homemade noodles for chicken noodle soup. Pasta primavera? Pumpkin waffles and that kick b#$t syrup? I guess I could do a pie. People seem to worry about pie crusts. I don't know. Hmmmm....anyone else have ideas? I really, really would love some feedback on this one.

10 comments:

FoxyJ said...

I would either do pizza or pie. Those are two things that I know always impress people when I make them from scratch. I think I would even vote for pie first, because summer is a great time for fresh fruit pie (peach, cherry, plum, raspberry, etc.). Since it takes a while to bake you can have one already made to eat for refreshments (or two since there might be a lot of people). Most people I know are intimidated by pie from scratch, but it's not that hard at all.

Anonymous said...

Feta, basil, tomato pizza! Yum. But would that be considered Mediterranean? Chicken/broccolil alfredo pizza? Wow. Sounds delish. I was thinking of curry in a hurry from that cook book of yours. But, if people are not the least bit adventurous maybe fresh peach pie is the best bet.

You ought to show them your cookbook and let them look through all your other good stuff. Maybe they will vote on something more daring for another time.

Sarah said...

Sounds like a tough crowd! Hummus haters? I wouldn't even know where to begin.

However, I'm also one of those people who has never made dough or crust from scratch. I don't know why it intimidates me so much but I've got a mental block against it. Homemade pizza sounds good though because you can show them how to make the dough, but then also have a few storebought crusts (boboli) on hand to show the people who want to save time a shortcut. And all the great toppings like ricotta, spinach, feta, just let people go wild.

Good luck!

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

My vote is also for pizza or pie. My mom always made homemade crust and it's much less intimidating than most people think, as is homemade pie crust.

Also, your pizza/pie ideas all sound very tasty.

Juls said...

I like the pizza...it is SO easy but yet hardly anyone does it. I usually make a mayo/parmasean cheese spread with my tomoto and basil...I will have to try feta. you will have to post your recipies when your class is over

Juls said...

ps where and when was this picture taken?

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Lets see...it would have been 2001 at the Jackson's home. I stayed there the year after I got home from China with my friend Lisa. The dish I am holding is "Man Catching Brownies", a classic bar cookie recipe from my friend Maren. I sent those to Matt on his mission if I'm not mistaken.

So, it's looking like pizza might be a winner. With the feta pizza, I usually do a pressed garlic/olive oil sauce (with a little kosher salt), sprinkle feta on top, cut romas into rounds and sprinkle fresh chopped basil around. Then just cook it about 15 min. or so at 400-425* (depending on if your oven runs hot).

While feta is Mediterranean, it's cheese, and people are usually a little more forgiving with cheese. Chickpeas/garbanzo beans for some reason scare these people off.

Juls said...

I had another thought...salsa. You could do a strawberry/peach salsa with cinnamon and sugar tortillas and then there is fresh salsa. or a make it from your garden session. just more ideas.

Th. said...

.

My goodness am I salivating.

Lady Steed said...

it all sounds good! please come cook for me!!!!

It is sad people seem to be so unadveterous. You should tell them that your 3.5 year old nephew LOVES hummus!

I vote for pizza...but really focus on making the dough. We all know how to top a pizza (i hope) but making the dough can be tricky. Show everyone how to knead, have them all try it. Make sure they recognize when to stop kneading. For people who cook making pizza dough is fairly easy, but to someone who is new at it, dough of any sort is very scary. Especially the kneading part.

You could also show them what else you can do with the pizza dough--focacia bread, bread sticks etc.