Friday, August 10, 2007

Eeewww

I was out in my garden this morning chopping off all leaves with mildew to try and stop it from spreading. I chopped into one vine base and found a disgusting white vine borer larva. Sick. While I was out there I also saw (what I later found out to be) an adult female vine borer, looking for more vines to bore. Grrrr. That explains some of our problem. We didn't use a pesticide other than Sevin for the bean plants. I guess we'll have to rethink that next year.

I also found out that cucumber melon is not just a body lotion fragrance. It's growing in our garden. I guess I didn't space them enough to miss some cross pollination.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks like a lemon cucumber. We have had them before when there were no regular cucumbers available to plant.

Someone suggested calling your extention agent. Good idea. They can tell you what to do for those nasty little critters.

We have huge green tomato worms. And tomato beetles. Nothing comes without a struggle. Good luck.