Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Pizza night a hit!

I decided to go with the pizza theme since it seemed to have the most favorable response here. It went really well. I overdid it a little. I made a double batch of the dough ahead of time, and I made some dough at the class so they could see the beginning of the process. I made 3 calzones (one with a ricotta mixture and 2 with pizza toppings and red sauce), a feta/tomato/basil pizza, and a regular pizza. I also made alfredo sauce to make the alfredo pizza with broccoli and chicken, but I ran out of time and pizza pans. Matt said it was some of the best pizza I've made. The crust was especially crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside. I think it's because the dough had almost 2 rises since I was doing so many things at once.

Only 4 people came, but it was a good sized group. My house isn't very big so I was glad there weren't any more. It was fun. They all asked good trouble shooting questions and I felt like I was able to answer them all. So that was good. Thanks for all the help deciding!

The only mishaps:
1. I burned my finger on the oven door. It's one of the worst cooking injuries I've had. But it's not to the blistering point, so I'm fine. I put some healing ointment on it and the sting is mostly gone.
2. Some cheese from one of the calzones dripped onto the bottom of the oven and caught on fire. I had foil down so I was easily able to pull it out and fold the foil over onto itself to put out the flame. I was able to do it quickly enough that the burn smell and/or smoke was very minimal.

2 comments:

Juls said...

I have never had a fire in my oven! Quick thinking. Should I put foil in the bottom of my oven?

It sounds like you had a great time.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I love having foil on the bottom of my oven. It makes clean up so much easier if anything drips or whatnot. This is the second thing I've had catch fire in my oven. The first was coconut that I was toasting for a cream pie I made for a church function. Oops. That one smoked up the apartment a bit.