Sunday, August 13, 2006

Svithe: Lighten Up

There are two ways I think we can lighten the load of life that sometimes seems a bit heavy.

When I was in High School there was a phrase that completely infiltrated the LDS religious sphere. I'm sure most of you have heard it, and some may still have an old journal or something with it imprinted on it. It's a messianic phrase, obviously meant for you to think Christ was talking to you. I seriously heard people quote it as though it were a scripture. It is quite unfortunate because it is a completely false statement. What is this phrase? "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it."

It seems harmless, and at face value it feels very true. Life is supposed to be hard, right? It's supposed to be full of trials and tests, right? Oftentimes bad things happen to good people, and good things happen to bad people. It can be quite frustrating, and I think that phrase came about to help people through those low points in their lives. But it misses the mark, and the mark is Christ.

I was lucky enough to have a great seminary teacher who pointed out the fallacy of this statement by reading in Matthew 11:28-30.
Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give your rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
It's true that we will have times of hardship, frustration, and anger. It's true that sometimes we'll feel that we've been give more than we can handle. But right here we are told that we don't have to be burdened and feel weighed down. We don't have to do anything alone. We do have to be pro-active. We must yoke ourselves with Christ; if we do that, He will provide us with relief by helping us carry our load.

Sometimes our loads are artificially weighed down (though it feels very real). It's easy to fret about situations and burdens that aren't even our own. We take on other people's problems as though they were ours to begin with. I know I do it sometimes.

One of the best religous books I've ever read is Lighten Up by Chieko Okazaki. In it she talks about this very thing.

We have two sons. One son is married and has two children...Our other son is unmarried. I was astounded to hear a mother fret about a son over twenty-five who had not married, wondering what she had done wrong in raising him. My son's marital status is his business, not mine. He is a responsible individual who is contributing to society. He is a clear thinker and a loving human being. One of the things I like most about him is that he instantly identifies and summarily rejects attempts to make him feel guilty about not being married. How foolish I would be to pick up the guilt my son has properly rejected and bind it on my own shoulders, to create a burden where none exists!

What a wise person. In this book she also talks about allowing ourselves to have imperfections. The Lord expects it. The only real expectation we can set for ourselves is that we do our best. Whatever that may be. My best is not your best, and thank heavens for that!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to read that book. Thanks for reminding me.

Anonymous said...

I've started saving some of the word verification sequences in case I new a new word. Some of them are great!

Re your post... Yes, that "Hard but worth it" quote. Thanks for sharing your seminary teacher's insight. I never liked it much but didn't bother to think about why or to challenge it.

Th. said...

.

Wow! That was a really fantastic post! Absolutely excellent and one of my all-time-favorite svithes. Excellent points!

And, to apply knowledge wrongly, I will certainly persecute anyone for blasphemy who ever quote that to me again.

Thanks!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Wow th., that made me feel so good!

I have to give a talk next Sunday in sacrament. Maybe I'll base it off of this...

BWaterman said...

i think it sounds like a good talk. anyway, i always thought it would be funny if someone printed little stickers that said "I NEVER SAID" so you could place them on all those posters (so they would read: "I NEVER SAID I never said it would be easy ...").

bw

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Haha. Thanks Prof. B.! That sticker idea really would have been awesome. If the saying ever makes a come back, I'll have to remember that. I know a couple printers...