Friday, August 11, 2006

A different world


I've decided Texas is just a different world than I'm used to. It's a place where the majority of the traffic drives 5 miles under the speed limit (EVEN IN THE FAST LANE!! *shake my fist at the three lanes of traffic that went 5 under and blocked anyone from passing for about 10 miles*).

It's also almost completely devoid of anything relating to pianos. That's just so odd to me. I've been searching and searching to find a piano dealer in the area, and it's slim pickings my friends. There's not even 1 store within 40 miles of me that sells piano music. There's only one store that sells any kind of music books and that's guitar.

I'm trying to get my piano teaching going again. Problems are I only have a touch sensitive keyboard (rather than a piano) and I don't have any beginner piano music in my posession. My eyes are shot from staring at the computer screen for hours trying to find something. anything. but nothing appears. how very, very sad.

I almost bought this piano off craigs list, but it was way too beat up when I actually saw it. It was a 1927 Baldwin upright, but it just wan't that pretty and a few of the keys were messed up. Too much work and I doubted I could find someone who could fix and tune it since I can't find anyone who sells pianos around here.

Oh well. I guess I'll keep looking.

5 comments:

Mizike said...

I have an offer for you then.

I have a piano that must be turn of the century old. An old upright piano. It's incredibly heavy and has been in the family for quite some time. I love it, but it will never been more than a conversation piece.

I don't play, and I doubt I ever will. My parents never really offered to pay for piano lessons, so it's not being used.

The outside condition is nice. However, the inside needs to be gutted since it cannot be tuned. And my brother poured wood glue down the keyboard when we were kids. It didn't glue them together, just some have residual glue to them. And most of the hammers need replacing.

If you want this piano, you can have it. You just need to find a way to get it from Baton Rogue to your house. I've been concerned what to do with it for so very very long. I'd love it to go to someone who'd take care of it and cherish it.

Mizike said...

Baton Rouge... okay, I know I mispelled it. Been playing online games too much. And I did run a spell check! Although it didn't catch the "never been" when I meant "never be" grammatical error.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Unfortunately it would cost about $4-900 to ship and about $650-900 to gut and redo. =(

Thanks for thinking of me though. =)

There was another listing here for an upright for $500. We don't have the money right now, but maybe it will take them awhile to sell and I could save up...

Darn medical bills.

Mizike said...

Okay, no problem. I'm sure you can find sheet music online. One place I was surprised to find sheet music was the Gutenberg project (http://www.gutenberg.org/). I think it's mainly classical, and not a very wide selection, but it's one source I've found.

Lindsay said...

Oh...to have a piano! I'm looking forward to the day when graduate school is over and apartment living is over and we can have a piano.

..Not that I'm a prodigy or anything like that, so don't get any ideas. But maybe if I had a piano I could repent of all those times growing up when I didn't practice but should have. And THEN I could become a prodigy.