Thursday, August 17, 2006

A new addition to our household

And no, I'm not pregnant.

I'm talking about a piano. We found one (on Craig's list), and I'm committed to buying it even though it's an hour away and I haven't actually heard or played it yet. I'm going on faith here people. Good old fashioned faith. The pictures look great and the price is as right as you can get without being free. I quizzed the owner and am taking her for her word. She said she would have listed it as being in excellent condition, but felt like nothing over 100 years old could be listed as being in excellent condition.

I grew up on an upright grand, and there's something about seeing one that melts my little heart and makes me want to sing...or play. As I was playing my electric piano the other day I realized that I have lost a lot of my piano playing finess. My little digits are a bit rusty and my brain lags a bit more than it used to. Now that we've found a music store within 30 minutes of us, and I will have a real piano, I'm hoping to find some music that will really get me going again. I officially have one student and I'm going to seriously start recruiting once I have the piano in my possession (which will be Saturday). I'm hoping for 25-30, though 10 would suffice since that would pay for my piano the first month.

This morning I was super ecstatic when I got a hold of her and we "closed the deal". Now I'm a bit nervous. What if it doesn't have as good of a feel as I want? What if it doesn't have quite as good of a sound as I want?? I'm a little scared that it's so far of a drive. We're renting a U-haul trailer and we're borrowing my boss's/friend's truck. That's really what I am most nervous about. I hate driving other people's cars. I forgot to ask if it's a stick or an automatic. If it's stick, I'm the driver; if it's automatic, I'm sure as heck making Matt drive. That's just so much responsibility...

And did I tell you we got a ticket the other day? Horrible. Dang turn only lanes that look like it shouldn't be a turn only. That actually meant that I don't get a new hard drive yet. =( But I'd take a new piano over a new hard drive and that's what I'm doing... Too bad for that ticket or I'd have both rigth now.

This will be our new addition in two day from now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm glad an upright grand melts your little heart. You know I LOVE antiques but I know you don't exactly feel the same way. But, I think it is hard to beat the tone of an older piano in good condition. Congratulations on the new addition. I can't wait to hear about the adventure of picking it up.

You know, about the only thing I don't like about having an "empty nest" is the lack of piano playing as a back drop to everything else that happened.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I like antiques as long as they're functional. Even if they're not functional, they can be cool. I mainly don't like antique furniture that looks like you could sit on it but you can't.

Lindsay said...

Yay for pianos! And yay for good deals on pianos! Have fun playing!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

9 hours, a borrowed truck, a rented trailer, purchased cargo straps, one meal, and $500 (total) later, we have this beautiful piano in our home. It's actually too big to get into my craft room where we originally planned having it because of the tight hallway and sharp corner. So it's going in our living room and we're having to completely rearrange. I think it's totally and completely worth it and Matt loves me enough to endulge me. I has a better feel to it than I'd hoped, but it really does need a good tune.

Happy Days.