Friday, August 04, 2006

Experimental Food

Now, this phrase can have different meanings to different people.

The scrimper: This person would take "experimental food" to mean combining all the leftovers in the fridge and creating some casserole or goulash or what have you.

Of this experimental food, I'm not a fan. I've never been one for leftovers and I generally only make what will be eaten in one sitting. When I was home in May I found a bowl of half eaten oatmeal in the fridge. OAT-MEAL! First of all, oatmeal is pretty cheap. Second of all, I can't in my right mind imagine it reheating well. This also goes for meat. The only meat I can stand heated in the microwave is that which is in lasagna. I can handle shredded pork or beef reheated on the stove top with a little water to keep it from burning. But chicken....forget it! And then to combine things that have no place going together in the first place...unimaginable to me.

Yes, some of you are exclaiming in horror at my lack of adventure with leftovers, I know. Waste not want not. I understand all that. That's why I really do try to make only what we eat the first time around. One of my cousins hates cooking so much she'll make one or two giant meals in the week and then eat the left overs the rest of the time. I just can't do this.

The dasher: This person thinks experimental food comes from adding whatever comes to mind to a "normal" meal. Maybe tuna would work well in macaroni and cheese (I've had this before; not by choice I can assure you.) Maybe chicken nuggets would be tasty in fried rice. How about carrots in jello? I think this type of person invented the Monte Cristo Sandwich. (Though come to think of it, this could be put in the scripmer section as well...)

Sometimes these meals can catch you off guard, for good or for bad. Who'd have thought to eat applesauce on latkes? Not me, but it's pretty good.

The substitute: Lets face it. Some people have incredible intuition about what can be substituted for what in a recipe. You don't have oil? Apple sauce will work in the cake. No plain yogurt? Use a little sour cream diluted with milk. Works like a charm. Then there are those who really have no clue what you can and can't sub. You don't have eggs? Well, at New Haven one of the girls tried to substitute oil for eggs and I can assure you that it doesn't work. Not that I would have tried that one. Another New Haven classic is trying to make whipped cream out of half and half. Nope ladies. (These examples took place on the weekends when I was not there to consult.) One thing you can substitute for whipped cream if you're wanting a low-cal version is fat free evaporated milk. You HAVE to chill the bowl and the milk and it won't ever get as thick as the cream, but it will do if you truly can't afford the calories.

And by the way, Who knew that you could make a pretty tasty apple pie minus the apples?? (It's true, I've tasted it and it's good.)

The bored: This is actually where this post originated. Matt and I have been quite bored of food. We're tired of eating the same old things. The problem is, I sometimes feel like I've made everything possible to make. But I know that's a lie and a cop out. There is good food out there that I have not yet attempted to make. In all honesty a good portion of our arguments and melt downs occur over food. I hate making food I know he doesn't want (but will still eat). But he can't not want it if he hasn't yet tried it.

That's why I've decided to have 1 experimental meal a week. I'll find a new recipe I've never tried, and then I'll make it. We've had some keepers, some that needed a little modifying, and some that are not making it into any regular meal rotation with or without modifiers (if I were to ever have a regular meal rotation).

The keepers:
Alice Springs Chicken

I got this recipe a long, long time ago at New Haven from the Lead Supervisor. I never tried it because the marinade was a honey mustard marinade and I'm not a huge fan of mustard. But I finally forged forward and tried it; it was fantastic. Matt said it was the best chicken he'd ever eaten (and if you know him, you know how high of a compliment that really is).

Naan Bread.

I made this to go with a new Indian dish I was making. It is quite good fresh, but really doesn't save well. We didn't have any problem finishing it off. Matt LOVED it and said he preferred it to Bombay House's Naan.

Hummus.

Mmmmmm.....hummus. *drooling like Homer over a donut*

Mango Lasse.

Wow. This was easy.

The Modifiers:
Homemade cheese ravioli.

The main thing that needed to change was the size. I made jumbo ravioli (where you only needed 3 to be extremely full). We both decided it should have been about half the size.

Punjabi chole masala.

I've been dying to find new Indian recipes. I love my curry, but I wanted to branch out. When I saw the row of Indian spices at Tom Thumb, I felt like Columbus, but I actually discovered the Indian spices I was in search of. This particular dish called for chickpeas, potatoes, spicy ginger and garlic paste, and the Indian spice mix I got. This was way too thick, a little gritty, and very over powering. However, it has great potential. I think next time I'll add tomato sauce or coconut milk to thin it out. I could tell the spicy ginger garlic paste was a definite keeper so I will have to find recipes that include it.

The recipes that did not make the cut:
To tell you the truth, I can't think of any off the top of my head. I know there have been some. Maybe I'm repressing the memories that paint me in a less than perfect light. It's possible.

If you want any of the other recipes I didn't take the time to make a paint image version of, just ask and I'll email them to you. Much easier...

Also, I am in search of an Indian dish (other than curry) that is tantalizingly delicious. If you have one, please, let's talk.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm a dasher for sure. I'm all about "one-bowl-wonders." My theory is anything diceable works with any other diceable food. Adam gets icked out by my strange concoctions but I love eating all the forgotten foods.

I have a feeling we can't be friends anymore...

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Hahahaha. I embrace diversity sarah. Our friendship is only in jepordy if you can't handle the fact that I'm not like you...

rofl

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I just made the hummus and naan again tonight to eat together. DELICIOUS!!!
And quite affordable (the hummus cost us $.70 to make. The naan was just made with stuff I have around all the time so it felt free! Add a cucumber and you have a full meal. =)

Anonymous said...

We went to an indian place for our anniversary this week! I love Indian food! We were glad we ordered Naan bread, too. The first time we ate indian I ordered the wheat version which was not great. I've also been meaning to make hummus- I'd love to get your rescipes!

Anonymous said...

Aaron will eat whatever so I usually cook what I want to make and what I think the kids will eat. I have an indian neighbor who I love just to smell her house when she is cooking...I can ask her for any good recipies. j

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Leethie-I'll send you the recipes.

Oh J that would be AWESOME!!!!!!!! The best Indian food (also the first Indian food) I had was in VA when I was living with you. One of the girls I worked with was Indian and her parents had made this HUGE feast so they sent some home with me. It was really spicy and delicious.

Lindsay said...

All sounds so delicious!

My favorite thing to experiment with is scrambled eggs. I like to scramble the eggs in a dish and then add whatever comes to mind: milk, flour, cheese, tomatoes, olives, green peppers, ham, etc, etc.

And yesterday I experimented with a new kind of cookie: chewy brownies cookies (compliments of Crisco). If you like chocolatey goodness, these are the cookies for you!

Anonymous said...

I have been buying hummus at Central Market for $5.99/lb. I feel so silly that I never tried to find a recipe after reading that you made yours for $.70. There are recipes all aver the internet, but I would love to try yours. Can you post it or send it to me?

I am not much of a cook, but I took an Indian cooking class at Kalachandji's last spring. It was good but they used a lot of butter, cream and milk and I am trying to eat vegan these days.

BTW, my connection is thru Sarah B. who is a friend of my daughter Sarah.

Anonymous said...

I am with Mary Rehnquist. I've been buying expensive deli hummus for years. 70 cents!?!?! Naan is one of my favorites too, but I've never made it. We used to buy it in England for about 5 cents per piece if you can believe it. I've never seen it for sale in the US and have never tried making it myself. If you can't tell, I'm going through a low to no-cook phase of life.

I would love your naan and best Indian food recipes. also the alice springs chicken. Cannon loves honey mustard type stuff, and I specialize in anything made with frozen chicken breasts.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Seriously takes less than 5 minutes. Scrumptious.

Extra Easy Hummus
Ingredients
(15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1-2 cloves garlic (depending on how garlicky you like things)
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon salt (I use kosher, but that’s just me…)
1+ tsp lemon juice (the bottled kind works for me)
2+ Tbsp olive oil

Directions
1. In a food processor (or blender, but blender might be a little more difficult) combine garbanzo beans, garlic, cumin, salt, lemon, and olive oil.
2. Mix it well and taste it. It should be very smooth. If it’s gritty at all, or kind of dry, add more oil or lemon juice (a little at a time) and blend some more. Add more salt, cumin or lemon juice, as your taste buds so desire…