Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Just so odd

This morning started out like a normal morning. I got up at 6:30 and ran, got Matt's lunch together, took him to work and went grocery shopping. After I got back with my groceries, I put them all away and tried to read scriptures (though I ended up falling asleep...)

When I woke up I realized I needed to go work right then. I look and look for my keys and I couldn't find them anywhere. I know I had them because I drove home from the store and unlocked the house. I knew we had a spare key somewhere so I called Matt to help me. He forgot we had a spare key, but knew where he would put a spare key if we had one. Luckily we did, in fact, have a spare key stored in his hypothetical key hiding place. Odd.

So off I went to work. I was late and I hit every red light possible. The meeting I was going to was a half hour drive from here and I made it just on time. Well, not really. I was late but they hadn't officially started the meeting. But then again, they never officially started the meeting. It was quite unorganized and very, very fruitless. When I left, I went to start my car. It started just fine, but I noticed that the clock wasn't working. Nor the windows. Nor the air conditioning. Nor the blinkers. Odd. Let me tell you, Dallas in August at noon is quite an unpleasant place to be with no air conditioning or even working windows. I tried turning it off and back on again, but the problem persisted. I figured I'd press my luck and hope that I got home without further incident. About a mile down the road I remembered the back windows were manual so I rolled those down, though they didn't help much because they're child proof. They only rolled down about 1/3 of the way. But it was a little tiny bit of flowing air, so I was grateful for that.

The electrical outage in my car lasted until I got to the Public Library (a 1/2 hour and a very sweaty forehead and back later). Just after I parked, I turned the car off and on again to see what would happen. Everything came on like normal. I don't know what was wrong but it freaked me out a bit. I was quite afraid our car was dying on us. It is 10 years old and a NEON for heavens sake. I'm surprised it's lasted this long, frankly.

Inside the library as I was checking out, there was an odd fellow (about 20 something I'm guessing) standing in the foyer. He had a cane and an odd rumpled outfit and some sort of top hat, and he didn't quite seem to be "all there" if you will. Just as I was leaving he came over to me and says, "I have a question for you. Are you young or just short?" I smiled and said, "Short." He then asks, "Are you single?" "Married." I replied. "Really? You look (mumble mumble mumble)" he said as I walked away. Hmmm...I didn't know what to make of that little encounter. Odd.

I was just happy that when I left my car was working properly again and I had A/C coming home.

When I got home there was an odd message on my machine. "Hi this is Miss Evans. I'm looking for some possible neighbors of yours. Patrick and Jane Simmons. They live at [our address]. I have a message for them I'm hoping to pass on through you. If you could call me back on my direct line [1800-555-5555] I'd appreciate it." So I called. I got the lady and I said, "well, we live at that address and I don't know anyone by that name. I know that the owners before us had that last name, but I'm quite certain that wasn't their first name." "Oh," she replied. "That's too bad. Thanks for the little information you did have. It's been helpful." And she hung up.

Weird. Do you ever feel like you're living in some sort of sci-fi book? (Maybe I'm just feeling that way because I just read Magic Street by O.S.C. and I just finished Prey by Michael Criton.)

I did find my keys, by the way.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

the theme from twilight zone is going through my head. You might want to check the electrical shortage in your car. Or maybe it was a computer glitch. Not fun either way.

Anonymous said...

take it from the girl who lost her keys for one year solid (Julie is thinking, "yes, I remember that year"). get a hook on your wall and never, NEVER let those keys out of your hand until they are safely on that hook. i finally trained myself to do that, and I haven't lost my keys for about 4 years now. i also have a designated zipper pocket in each purse and diaper bag so I don't have to go fishing around for them or worry that I lost them in the store or locked them in the car. with 4 kids and a busy schedule, I can't afford to be scatterbrained anymore.

by the way, our car does that electrical shortage thing about once every 6 months. i just have to turn it off and on again and it solves itself every time. long live cheap old cars (that work at least MOST of the time).

as for the man in the top hat, I have no comment.

Lindsay said...

Some day are like that, I guess...just ...very odd. It's almost like the world is standing still only you're still moving and people are still interacting with you. It's odd. And very much like unto The Twilight Zone.

Anonymous said...

ohh I am reading The Analyst talk about creepy...it is a good murder/mystery that is cleverly written. Not done yet, but really good, just some language...j

PS yes Amanda I do remember that year :)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Thanks Amanda. Its comforting to think our car isn't automatically going to seize up and die on us because of this little problem.

As for the keys thing, yes I need to do that. I'm usually really good about leaving them in my purse, but yesterday I had them in the pocket of the shorts I was wearing when I went to the store. I changed into pants and then into a different pair of pants. I folded my shorts (with the key in the pocket) and I put them in my drawer. By the time I was looking for the keys I had forgotten I'd been wearing shorts originally and I looked in both pairs of pants with no luck. Luckily I remembered this little detail as I was driving home.

And J- thanks for another book to put on my list. =)