Friday, June 30, 2006

Just for the Thrill of it

Summer trips growing up often included camping, canoeing at Willow Springs, and cliff jumping at Clear Creek. My favorite of the three was definitely Clear Creek. Dragon’s Head was kind of the “rite of passage” in my eyes. We’d climb up the side of the cliff and Dad would yell things like “If you jump we’ll buy you an ice cream cone” or “just spit and use it as a target” or “don’t think, just jump!” Mom, on the other hand, would get scared for her little babies to be jumping off a 20 ft. cliff into the water, but she allowed it and no one ever got hurt too badly. She climbed up on Dragon’s Head once or twice and both times she was so scared she wouldn’t jump so my dad had to help her climb down again.

The highest cliff I jumped was Cherry. I always like to say it was 80 ft., but in reality I think it was only 50-60 ft. If I could get myself to do it once during the trip I could usually do it at least 2-3 times. I think I was only 5 when I first jumped off Dragon’s Head (the 15-20 jump).

Matt has quite a long weekend open. He gets both Monday and Tuesday off as a paid holiday and today is his "every other Friday off" Friday. So I told him that rather than just sit around here this weekend we really ought to do SOMETHING fun. I started looking around the area for cool things to do and I found this. I'm totally trying to talk him into it and I think it would be AWESOME! I want to do the thrill seeker combo so we could do all 4 things. It's a little pricey for us, but really it's the best time of our life to do it. Do it! Do it! Do it!

I was just thinking last week how I'd love to go cliff jumping again. Oh how I miss Clear Creek (scroll down for pictures of people jumping) and the thrill...

4 comments:

BWaterman said...

i've become way more conservative in my thrillseeking as an adult. i would still do dragon's head, but i don't think i'd do cherry. i'm actually a bit afraid of heights at this point and i'm *very* afraid of falling. i could never do the free fall ride you linked to. on the other hand, i *love* roller coasters -- maybe it's the seatbelt that makes me feel more secure. i especially love the dear old wooden cyclone at coney island, 75+ years old. i hope to ride it when it turns 100!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I figure once we have kids I'll be a more conservative in my thrill seeking ways. That's why I want to do it now.

I only do things that are *safe* thrills. In the snow Matt likes to spin out and do crazy things with the emergency brake, and that kind of freaks me out because I feel like I don't have any control over the situation.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

No extreme things for us this weekend. =( As we were driving around town today we went over a speed bump and the seatbelt reminded Matt that he just had surgery and there's no way he could get in the harness and not be hurt by the force. Ah well. It was a good dream.

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to catch up on my 3 weeks absence. Sorry to comment so late, but I just have to say I'm glad you didn't do those crazy things!! I checked the link and thought how I always thought people who do those things were slightly crazy! Of course, this comes from one who could never jump off of dragon's head.