Friday, June 23, 2006

Lack of sidewalks a contributing factor?

After moving here I've decided that sidewalks (or lack thereof) can be a huge factor in inactivity that leads to being overweight. I just searched online and found that it can be a contribution to obesity. Sidewalklessness is an odd phenomenon that I've not experienced anywhere else. However, sidewalks are not common here. They will end in the middle of the block if the housing ends in the middle of a block. I've felt quite constricted and confined to the housing developments with which we are clustered. After that it is "un-sidewalked territory" and it's rather frightening to try and run on the street.

Picture University Ave. in Provo with no sidewalks. That's what it's like on our University Ave. here except here it's larger and busier. It's the very busy 4 lane road that runs in front of our neighborhood. It connects our portion of the city to the shops and grocery stores. I would probably walk there every other day (just so I can get out and about) if there were sidewalks. But no, they've neglected to connect us with the others.

As I'm looking for work it's frustrating to google the location and see that it's less than 3 miles from my house, but not very accessible to me without a car. I'd ride a bike, but that's almost unheard of here, and I don't know if cars would know what to do on a busy street with a cyclist.

4 comments:

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

My parents lived in Houston for 2 months; and when I went to visit them, I noticed the same thing. Lots of enormous people and no sidewalks. It's incredible that you can't walk anywhere in Texas.

Lindsay said...

We also have a serious lack of sidewalks here in Indiana. It bothers me. So not only are the roads a lot narrower than they are out west, but there are no sidewalks. All this amounts to any walking or biking expedition to being extremely dangerous. I feel your pain.

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

So true Lindsay! I have to walk on people's lawns when I go for my evening walks. And now that I have a dog... At least in Bloomington, and Texas as well, there is an abundance of fast food and buffet restaurants. Those can't help either.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Haha. Before moving here one of my friends said that people here generally are size 4 or 24.

I have to admit that the one time I jogged on University I ran on people's lawns. There wasn't any other way...