Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Is it hot in here, or is it just me?

Yesterday on my run I passed a woman walking 3 dogs going the opposite direction. We said our mutual "hi"s and we continued on our separate paths. At the end of my run I ended up passing her once again. We said "hi" again and then she said in broken English "You so fast. I tired. I a old lady." I stopped and walked with her a few minutes and we talked. It's amazing what you can find out about someone in less than 2 min.

She first asked "You at the High School?"
"Yeah, I ran by the High School today."
"No, no. You go the High School?"
"Haha. No. I've been out of High School 7 years now."
"Oh. You look so young and good. I a old lady. I walk long time every day and I still fat. You know how old I am? 48. My husband never home. He gone two weeks and come home a few days. So I walk my dogs. They my babies. You have any babies?"
"No. Not yet. Just a husband."
"These my babies. Their names Cowboy Jo, Sexy, and Nakami (or some other Asian word that was foreign to me)."

She told me her name is Dee and she showed me where she lives. She turned down her street and I continued on my run. A pleasant but unexpected meeting. I don't know what it is, but I think that I look younger every year. I was quite an early bloomer so people ALWAYS thought I was older than I was in Jr. High and High School. Since I've been married, though, I've had multiple people inquire as to if I was still in High School. Hu.

The humidity varies here; the short time I've lived in TX, I've experienced as low as 23% humidity and as high as 90%. I've always lived in the desert. (Well, I guess I did live in Virginia for a summer, and that was a little humid. And China. It was so thick there in the summer I could see the moisture in the air most days.) Anyway, my body is fairly used to dry climates after 25 years. Sure, I needed some lotion and chapstick, but I never have experienced a nose bleed or anything like that because of the dryness. Today, as well as every day this past week, it was around 75-80% humidity and about 75* F at the time of my run. It makes for a very, very sweaty run. By the time I finish running and I start yoga, I literally am dripping wet. It's a bit slippery on my mat, but I figure it has to be as good as Bikram Yoga (the kind where you do it in a room heated to about 90*+). Sometimes I feel like I'm exercizing in a sauna. Sweat out the toxins, right?

6 comments:

Mizike said...

Wait until August and September and you'll be living indoors with air conditioning all day. Althought it's hot now, it's not really hot.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Oh, I know it's not hot yet. I'm just waiting for it to hit. The humidity is really what my body's responding to right now. I mean, I run at 7 AM right now, and I fully expect to be going earlier and earlier as the summer progresses.

BWaterman said...

eewww. but you should have seen my shirt today. i ran 4 miles outside and then my ipod died and so i came into the workout room in our building and ran two more -- a recipe for total sweathog. by the time i finished my minor weightlifting i was literally dripping.

are you doing yoga on your own or in a studio? i'm dying to get to a studio again but haven't for a long time, even though i have gift certificates i received for *christmas*. :(

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Haha, Bry, I'm glad I'm not the only "sweathog" in the fam. when it comes to exercising. I know what you mean about the dripping. Sweat kept getting in my eyes and dripping off my nose when I was doing chatarangas and down dogs.

I'm doing it on my own. The closest studio is about 5 miles away across two major road ways with no side walks to run on. So, being without a car, a studio's a no go for me for now.

Sarah said...

Your shirt is the perfect picture of nastiness. I admire you for doing ANYTHING physical outside in Texas. I turned to yoga pretty young since it helped me avoid the elements. I'm a total baby when it comes to any temperature outside the range of 73 to 78 degrees.

Anonymous said...

The next time a 48 year old woman tells you she is old please get her name and phone number and refer her to your mother who doesn't feel one bit old, thanks to Isagenix!