Thursday, July 16, 2009

Gestational Diabetes at 37 weeks???

I'm not sure yet if I actually have gestational diabetes, but today at my apt. my doctor said that last week (met with the midwife since my doc was gone) and this week I've had sugar in my urine. It could mean diabetes, but they took some blood today to confirm if it is or not. Ack. She said at my 28 week diabetes test my sugar count was 78 and anything under 140 is normal, so I wasn't even borderline. She only sees a patient develop diabetes this late in pregnancy once every couple of years, so it's pretty rare. I REALLY hope that the blood work comes back normal, but if not at least it's only 11 days of having to really watch what I eat. I don't even know where to begin with that, so I'll probably have to do a little web searching.

As for my other stats:
I'm now at 155, so I've gained a total of 24 lbs. since my first visit.
My blood pressure was 98/60, so it's in the low normal range.
Dilated to 1 cm.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Why are they making you going thru the torture of a dilation check if you're having a C-section anyways???

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I like knowing. I request it.

Tom and Audrie said...

I wouldn't worry too much about it. My sugar was high in my urine all the time in all my pregnancies. They checked me multiple times for diabetes and it never was (hated the test though). Good luck with whatever they find out!

mad white woman said...

My SIL had gestational diabetes and they made her attend some class about it. She said she thought every pregnant lady should take that class. But at the same time, watching how restricted her diet needed to be made me wish I never have it. Good luck!

-Laura- said...

Weird!

Susan said...

At least you are at the tail end of your pregnancy!