Sunday, November 16, 2008

It's the little things that make motherhood so fun.

You know, as exciting as it was to have a brand new baby, I have to say that it really didn't sink in that we had added a new member to our family until about month 4.

Up until then, it often felt like I had a really needy doll.

Don't get me wrong. I have always loved the little guy. I just love him more every day and every month! He is definitely not a little toy doll! He's got pizazz and personality and he learns new things every day. It is very exciting to see this young little human learn new things.

Sure new challenges will arise as he gets older.

For instance, he's recently acquired discriminatory taste buds. At least I think that's what is happening. He's decided he's anti-veggie at the moment. (It may just be the aforementioned molar teething since he hasn't been too into food in general recently, but I don't think so.) One day he loved peas and green beans. The next, no thanks! He has honed his ability to spit out (and fish out with his finger) food he does not love. Mac and Cheese with peas: hold the peas please! He'll put a handful of food in his mouth and then fish out anything green. Too bad buddy! You're going to get it on your plate whether you like it or not!

He also loves to drop food on the floor when he's done with eating or doesn't like it. Not only that, but I once found him stuffing the end of lunch into his mini-raisin box! HAHA!! What a clever and dexterous little boy. Sneaky, but clever (and cute).


And while he won't eat his veggies, he sure has no problem eating the non-edible berries off our bushes in front! I can't tell you how often I say, "Spit that out right now, Dean!"

He's also learning fun and new things every day it seems.

He now will fold his arms for the prayer. Today at church he even folded them at the appropriate time without being prompted by me! He heard the prayer start and he immediately folded them.

He has claimed the drawer in our coffee table and a drawer under our oven as his own. I will often find toys, remotes, nail clippers, and other random items stuffed in his drawers.

He's learning to climb and use things as step stools. Fun, but ACK! Have I bolted everything to the wall?? I need to get on that...

He pretends to talk on the phone. He'll put it up to his ear (usually backwards) and say, "Heo. Ha."

He can "blow his nose" into a tissue.

Just today when I was blowing on his hot food, he finally blew with his mother rather than sniffed with his nose!

He loves to sniff my flowers outside, though he usually picks them all first.

He loves to play "chased by the monster". I'm the growling monster; however, he also growls as he runs away.

If I ask him to get a diaper, he'll get one and bring it to me and then run away as fast as he can. hahaha. I occasionally have to pin him down with my knees to change him. You can better believe we abandoned the changing table months ago!

He loves to carry his dirty diapers to the "yuck" (trash) for me.

He doesn't hate baths anymore. Thank heavens!!

The first thing he asks for when he wakes up is music. He often doesn't even want me to get him out of his crib until I turn some on!

He finally discovered his tongue. I was so worried after the surgery because he'd never even attempt to stick his tongue out. Finally 6 months later he's figuring it out. I know some mothers discourage this, but I really was afraid he'd have speech problems later on because of it.

I love my little boy. I'm so glad I have a little boy instead of a toy doll.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

That's so funny that he stuffed his unwanted food in the raisin box! I don't know that I really liked being a mom until Kate was 2 months old or so. It just keeps getting better, though. It's amazing to me how these little people can weasel their way into our hearts one small grin at a time. :)

Michelle Glauser said...

Little boys pay off a lot more than dolls, I would hope. ;)

Erin said...

I can relate to almost every single thing you wrote here! Except that Anna doesn't just drop her unwanted food...she throws it! I love this time of their development. It's so fun!

Lindsay said...

It is the little things, isn't it? Little things that add up to big things. Dean's a cutie, anti-veggies and all. Oh, about the anti-veggie thing...for the last few months, Garrett's been picky, too. But, like you, I keep offering it to him and have noticed that he changes his mind rather quickly. Green beans that were gross last night are devoured the next day. (And we thought teenage girls and pregnant women were the ones with big mood swings!)