Sunday, March 02, 2008

It's Scraptastic

We had a new scrapbook store open up here in McKinney. It's a great little shop and the owner has an amazing story. Though she's fairly young, she had a stroke a few years ago that resulted in amnesia. Part of her therapy was to scrapbook her life so she could regain memories of her family, friends, and childhood. Three years later she opened a scrapbook store here. She's a really neat woman.

She is promoting materials in her shop is by having a "page in a bag" contest once a month. She gives the first 10 people who want to participate a handful of materials (paper, embellishments, etc.) on the first Saturday of the month, and you have one week to create anything you want. You just have to use some of everything she gives you. She started this in January, but I didn't find out about it until February. I entered last month (despite my long hiatus from scrapbooking) and had fun using items I never use.

We had to use vellum, this paper, brads, and the little chipboard do-dads.
This is what I came up with. (The scanner cut some off.)

I wasn't sure how much I really liked it since it was VERY different than anything I normally do. But, it was fun to use new things and break away from the norm. I've never used chipboard, vellum or brads in my scrapping.

Anyway, I didn't win, but the owner said I had a fair amount of votes. I got the new bag yesterday and have been trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do. There are two 12x12 double sided papers, one 12X12 page with stitching all over, a Rolodex card, and a ribbon. I don't have any 12X12 albums since I started scrapping before that was even an option. However, I almost feel compelled to enter a two page 12X12 layout since I have so much stuff to use. We'll see how it turns out I guess.

12 comments:

Cannon said...

i am glad that you have fun scrapbooking, but have you ever thought about digital scrapbooking? i wish that it had been invented back when my big kids were babies. i am never going to buy supplies and make that mess again to do scrapbooking. that is, when i get the time to scrapbook at all. you pages are super cute by the way.

Emily said...

I need to get in on the action. I always forget and then it't too late!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

For sure Em. You'd be great!

C&A, I've thought of digital scrapping, but I have a few reservations about it.

1. Files are easily corrupted. You have to be really good about keeping backup copies.
2. Software and types of digital software seem to be replaced frequently. You have to keep transferring data from one form of storage (hard disk, zip drive, CD, flashdrive, etc.) to another.
3. Somehow it doesn't feel quite as satisfying or nostalgic to me to look at pictures on the computer as it does to look at them in a book.

Digital does have its advantages though.
1. Scrapbooking can be quite pricey, especially if you do lots of embellishment.
2. You don't have the mess to clean up.
3. You don't have to print up/develop digital pictures. They're ready to use right after you take them.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Oh, and Em, you should see if she has any packets left today. You might be able to do it still. Last month she only had 6 people participate.

Brooke said...

What a fun idea! I loved your page from last month. I really need to be better about scrap-booking or even just putting pics in a book. Instead, they just sit in big boxes totally mixed up and impossible to ever find what I'm looking for.

Also, about my scanning issues--you asked what program I use. Uh...I must be a dork, cuz I don't really know what you mean. I know I click on the CanoScan icon and then just press copy. :) Getting a photo program is a great idea. I'm sure that would make it easier. We used to have Nero, but then it just disappeared. If only I could sit down with Elliott and go over all my computer issues... He's much better with it all than me--he's just been so busy lately that when he's home, I don't really think about computer issues. Then, when he's gone (like right now), I remember all my questions. But, thanks for your advice! :)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

You can download a free photoshop starter that will be good enough to convert your photos.

By the way, what are your pictures saved as if not jpeg?

Cannon said...

oh, celia, there are companies that print them out for you!! then you still have a book that looks like regular scrapbooking, but it is a lot more compact because there is only one layer of paper. Anyway, just a thought. Regular price is kind of pricey (about $1 per page) but I think that most print companies have sales a couple of times per year, even as low as 5 pages for $1.

A lot of my digital scrapbooking friends use scrapbook factory software, and i even have it on my computer, but i still haven't managed to get two free minutes to use it. someday, someday.....

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

all the more tempting to switch I guess.

randa_joy said...

I too am fighting the digital thing. I know it's probably simpler, more convenient and cheaper but dang it I just love the layers and the textures and I like sticking buttons, ticket stubs, pressed flowers and original what-nots that you just can't scan on too. I guess I could just put the digital pages into sleeves and add what-nots but I'm just not ready for it yet.

Cannon said...

yes, i agree that there is a charm that cannot be replaced with the real thing. maybe you should just enjoy paper scrapbooking right now while you can. i know that for the busy moms that i have talked to that it seems pretty much impossible to keep up on scrapbooking after kid #3. they all swear that they would never go back when they have switched over (just imagine clicking and having your photo instantly cropped, or using the same template for three different kids' books). you could always switch if the real scrapbooking ever got to be too much.

another fun thing about paper scrapbooking is that you can get together with other new moms and create pages, share ideas, etc. with digital it is more like a do-it-yourself-late-at-night project. but i like the idea of having cannon (my husband) organize all of my photos on the computer. he really enjoys it, so they are ready to go if i ever get it together and get going on it.

Sarah Pace said...

Good Job! At least you do it! I have about 6 scrapbook pages that are not complete. I am bad when it comes to that. Koudos to you!

Brooke said...

it saves them an pdf's in Adobe Reader