Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Tag for Erin R.

10 yrs ago (1998):
I was finishing my Jr. year of High School. My most vivid memory that year was being called in to talk about class standing. There was a group of the top 10 students. At that meeting I found out I'd been bumped to 3rd because of a new kid who moved in (Russ B.). Oh was I ticked! (He did end up beating me, along with 3 other people. Ah well. Such is life.) The year before I had been in the top 2 in our class. I really, really wanted to speak at graduation. Didn't get my wish.

Other 1998 memories include:
  • All-State choir
  • Ninja Fish (remember that Vanessa?)
  • My last year of Cross Country
  • Teaching Piano
  • Switching from 2nd Alto to 1st Soprano in Honor Choir
  • Madrigals (and Jazz/Mad. trip, Ice Cream Social, etc.)--Oh man that was the year I MC'd with Cam P. for the Ice Cream Social and totally got chewed out by Mr. B. because we had some "politically inappropriate material". Oops. haha. Not the first nor last time I got reamed for inappropriate behavior in choir! =) Good times.
  • Getting ditched at Prom by my date and hanging out with my dad who was a chaperon.
5 Things on my list of things to do today:
  1. Exercise-check
  2. Teach piano to 3 kids- check...kind of. I taught one and the other 2 didn't show.
  3. Finish my "page in a bag"- not yet
  4. Make dinner-check
  5. Research convertible car seats--somewhat. I looked at the Brittax Marathon and it looks so big. I don't know if it will even fit in our car rear facing.
Things I would do if I suddenly was a Billionaire:
  • Pay off the debt we have (house and car)
  • Help immediate family pay off debts
  • Upgrade to a slightly bigger house, and probably move away from TX
  • Upgrade our furniture to matching and new
  • Have laser eye surgery
  • Have laser hair removal
  • Pay A LOT of tithing! HA!
  • Oh, and I'm sure we'd invest the vast majority
3 of my bad habits:
  1. Misplace things
  2. Waste way too much time on the computer
  3. Never wash my face at night (partially why I don't wear make up)
Places I have lived:
AZ
UT
VA
China
TX

Jobs I have had:
Piano teacher
McD's cashier
Waitress
Hostess
TA
Cook @ residential treatment center
Tax Clerk

Things most people don't know about me:
  • I stopped playing competitive team sports in high school because of how angry I would get at my opponents. I loved Cross Country because we gave opposing teams hugs and good lucks before the races. =)
  • I've worn the same earrings since the year 2000. Matt gave them to me right before he went into the MTC. I've changed them out less than 10 times and usually for only a day or two.
  • I dyed my hair red for 5 years but stopped because I was sick of upkeep. I still have a thing for red heads though, and I think it's the most beautiful hair color.
  • I've kissed 5 guys in my life, but Matt's the only one I ever kissed after I was 16. Doh.
  • I went through the Temple when I was 19, but I wasn't getting married or going on a mission. It was very right for me and the time in my life, but it was very unorthodox.

17 comments:

Lindsay said...

That stinks about the prom!

Also, researching convertable carseats is on my to-do list, too. Garrett is starting to outgrow his infant carrier and even though I know I could probably pull off letting him continue to use it until he's a year (because of our car-less state, we don't use it too often), I think I'd actually get more mileage out of a convertible seat (especially if I factor in the future children we'll have). So some of our tax return has been allocated for a carseat. Sigh. It's such a pain to shop for carseats. So many things to consider. And sometimes it feels like a waste of time/money when I know we'll only use it when we're on a trip or something or those rare occasions when we're driving through town in someone else's car.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

You should check the guidelines on your infant carrier. Mine holds up to 22 lb. or 29 in. He's under the weight, but getting close to the height. I'd imagine yours is similar. But that would be a little frustrating if you use it so infrequently.

Jacqui said...

This was fun to read! I learned a lot about you, Celia! When did you start dating Matt? Jeff used to never wash his face before bed, but he's such a greaser that he'd ruin our pillowcases, so I coerced him into washing. Plus he smells better...;)

I use the Graco Safeseat. It goes to 30 lbs and somewhere close to that in inches. It accommodates 95% of 1-year-olds, so unless your kids huge, it should fit. It is an infant carrier, but I kept Ethan in it until he was almost 1.

I do love the Britax Marathon. We had a Graco booster before then that worked just fine, but the straps wear out and get bunchy, which is a pain when you're trying to tighten it.

Jacqui said...

Oh, and the straps were rarely even on our Graco booster convertible seat. One would be tight and the other have an inch of slack.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

We started dating the second semester of our freshman year of college, so beginning of 2000. He left for his mission in Sept. 2000 I believe.

The Marathon looks like a GREAT seat, but it's just so freakin huge. But that's part of the appeal, I guess, since they can use it so much longer. It wouldn't be a problem if I were driving, but Matt has the seat back so much further than me, I'm afraid it would be a tight squeeze...I guess we'll just have to try though.

Anyone else have a convertible car seat they just love?

Brooke said...

I love these things--I always learn something new! And, I totally thought you were a red-head through high school. I don't know how I reasoned that it just magically turned that way, but I just thought it was natural. Either color-you're cute! And, bummer about your prom date! Did he really just leave? How awful!

About convertible carseats--I don't even know what kind we have. Is that bad? I think it's a Graco? I bought it for $15 from the Health and Safety Department when I was at a free carseat check event. They were selling new carseats for 15 bucks and we couldn't pass that up! We figured we'd buy a different one someday that was cuter. But, we haven't and it works great! It's green and black too--so it's good for boys or girls.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Brooke, don't feel bad. When my mom was doing my hair for Prom one year she said, "Funny, I don't remember parting red hair when you were little." HAHAHA. She'd forgotten it wasn't my natural color! I have the skin tone for it.

As for the Prom, here's the deal. My Sophomore year my best friend's brother told me he'd take me to the Jr. Prom. A year later he remembered and was true to his word. Unfortunately, he had a girlfriend at the time. So his girlfriend went with his best friend in our group. He didn't ditch me the ENTIRE time, just about 45 min - an hour. It was a little awkward.

Brooke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

Very interesting and fun to read! I definitely learned a lot.

Hope you find a good car seat. You might just want to wait until Dean is a year and you can get a forward facing seat. They are much cheaper. And since they are required to be 20 lbs. AND a year before facing forward you shouldn't have a problem with keeping the infant seat until then.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

We won't be able to wait. He's almost to the length limit on his infant seat. He's a tall boy.

Rubalcavas said...

Ha...those were good times! We had fun didn't we?

Juls said...

David (my HUGE boy) is in a rear/front facing seat. I don't remember the make but the bottom flips so it can be either rear or front. But he has been forward facing since he was 6 months...I went to AZ and Eric put his seat in forward facing and we never went back. he was a good healthy weight and my third child so I figured what the heck.

my prom date my jr year was way TOO into me. I was more excited about my dress. MAN those stinky guys...aren't you glad those days are behind you!

One picture I love of the girls is you with red, S with light brown, A with dark brown and me with blonde. GREAT!

Can you believe that mom dyed her hair until me (#5) came along!

HAHA...if you are still reading this epistle you love me :)

becki said...

celia-you crack me up. i keep coming back here just to read about your crazy life. I'm a fan!
thanks for sharing.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Yay becki! I'm glad you enjoy it!

Erin said...

Celia, I learned so much! It's great to get to know you a bit better.

Amy said...

Go Russell! LOL, he's my cuz! What else can I say!:) Too bad about grad. :(

I loved you in choir! I still remember something that you taught me there....Just smile and say,"ok!" and then do whatever you want!
I thought it was awesomely rebellious! ;) Loved reading your tag!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I swear that was the only class I did that in Amy! Haha.

I got over being ticked really quickly and Russ and I were good friends. He was a much better Prom date my senior year than the Jr. year debacle. Plus, he was smarter than me, so he deserved it. I have to say, though, I was a little ticked again when he got a full scholarship to BYU while I only got a half! (His ACT score was better though, so I shouldn't be too sore.)