Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The dawn of a new era?

Get this. I put Dean down last night at 6:30. Not one single cry after I set him down (eyes open) in his crib. We didn't hear a thing until 11 when he cried out for about 1 min. And 12 when he cried for about 30 seconds. I didn't go in either time.

Next thing I knew it was 6 AM and I hadn't heard a peep out of him since. I laid in bed continually convincing myself that I heard him talking to himself. I checked about 5 or 6 times between 6 AM and 7:30 AM to make sure he was really still asleep (and not dead!) or awake and not crying. I found him asleep with his hand in his mouth. So cute. Then, 13 hours of sleep later, he woke up at 7:30 and was ready for the day.

Hopefully it's indicative of what is to come. I could get used to that schedule easily!! Oh, and the last two days he's had fewer naps with at least one nap that lasted over 2 hours. Hooray!

11 comments:

Erin said...

Breakthough! Congratulations! Hope it keeps up for quite awhile.

Sandy Ballard said...

Yeah!!! It is so amazing when they finally sleep. I know that feeling of "their sleeping and not dead, right???" Hopefully he will keep sleeping.

Lindsay said...

Sleeping babies (and with them, sleeping parents) are such beautiful things. My fingers are crossed for you! And maybe you could point some crossed fingers in our direction....Garrett has suddenly decided that he likes to wake up screaming inconsolable bloody murder 2-3 times a night. Not fun.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Thanks guys. And Lindsay, that sounds like no fun at all! Is he teething?

Lindsay said...

His doctor thinks it might be the onset of anxiety (he wakes up....he realizes he's alone....he freaks out), which is typically I guess at this age, more so than teething (even though he did say that, while it's nothing catastrophically painful for him at this point, he is finally teething). I just hope it ends soon so we can all get back to some regularly scheduled decent sleep.

Brooke said...

What a wonderful thing! I hope it continues for you (and him and your husband). Even though Ellee's slept through the night for a long time (which I am SOOO grateful for), I still get up and check on her in the middle of the night most nights just to make sure she's still there (no crazies came and took her), she's still breathing, she has her blanket and baby, etc. I sometimes wonder when I will ever really sleep through an entire night again--no waking and worrying. But, with kids--it'll probably be like this forever. :)

Emily said...

YIPPEE!

This is a miracle for a sleep depribed parent. Hope it keeps up!

Cannon said...

hooray! i am so happy for you. now that he's done it once, hopefully you'll feel better about knowing that he's not hungry etc. i always wake up for the first few nights that they sleep through and have to check to make sure they're ok.

becki said...

oh, the loved, but feared, are they alive moment!!! congrats to you-hopefully it continues, at least for a while.

Erin S. said...

Whoo Hoo! How exciting! I know you've been waiting for this moment, so I hope it continues for many nights to come!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Thanks for the well wishes guys. To add on top of the normal "is my child still alive" worry, Matt's dad found him near death one night when he was an infant. He felt like he ought to go check on him and they had to rush him to the hospital! So, Matt's extra paranoid about it. Yikes!