Monday, March 10, 2008

Down with DST!

I grew up in the crazy state of AZ where we did not practice this foolish thing called day light saving. We got on perfectly fine without it. Splendidly even. Though I have lived with it for 8 years now, I have never gotten used to it. It's ridiculous and out of date. I think it's mighty silly since daylight naturally lengthens anyway; with it, the sun doesn't go down until after 9 in the summers (practically 10 in UT)! What about all those children who need to sleep? I guess you just get good darkening shades and hope they don't notice it's still light outside.

6 comments:

Juls said...

I'm with you sister!

Amy said...

Amen! Arizona Rocks! I heard a comparison one time about DST. It's from an Old Indian. He said, "It's like taking one end of a blanket, cutting it off and then sewing it to the other end."

I used to love going to UT in the summer for vacation because it was so light so late.
Also, supposedly it helps with our economy (stores stay open later), but I'm not a big fan especially with how it effects my children's schedules.

-Laura- said...

I couldn't agree with you more. This year especially am I frustrated with it. Why in the world would you want to add an additional 6 weeks to it??? It's killing our bedtime routine...."But Mom, it's not even DARK outside!" Ergh. Maybe Kyle SHOULD go to grad school at ASU. I vote to leave the time as nature intended it to be.

Emily said...

AZ has it right. I never grew up with it either, hence the fact that I was almost late to give my talk at church yesterday. Drat that DST.

Meg and Jeremy said...

Right on! I agree wholeheartedly! It drives me crazy and screws everything up. I almost always forget, plus it makes getting up early hard. If people want more daylight after work hours they should just go to work earlier.

Cannon said...

i'm SOOO with you. i HATE, HATE, HATE daylight savings. Right when we get everyone on good schedules, it ruins EVERYTHING! naps, bedtimes, all down the drain. and it stays light until after10 in the summer, so then you don't start fireworks until 10:30, and then kids either have to go to bed around 11:15, or skip fireworks their whole childhood. why can't everyone jump on the boat with AZ? Let's start a petition!!!