Saturday, March 22, 2008

Sippy cups and solids

We started Dean on solids about 2 weeks ago. He's tried whole grain rice cereal, oatmeal, and avocado. I think he liked the oatmeal the best and avocado the least. The first two times he ate the avocado ok, but tonight when I tried it he totally started gagging the first bite and refused to eat the rest. I know it wasn't that different than the other times because I ate all that he couldn't every time. Guess it's not for him just yet.

I also decided to give him a sippy cup. He's never had a bottle, but he really took to the step 1 nuk sippy. He likes holding the handles, but he can't fully support it by himself just yet. I wanted to get him used to drinking water. No juice or anything for him yet.

I just bought sweet potatoes to cook up for him, so we'll try that next. Then maybe peas. I hope they don't upset his tummy since they're green.

Right now I am hoping to make the majority of his food, but we'll see how that goes. Baby food just seems danged expensive (like everything else baby). Plus, if it were me, I'd rather eat something fresh rather than canned.

6 comments:

FoxyJ said...

S-Boogie never really had a bottle on a regular basis either. With Little Dude we also never did juice or water (well, we give him very watery juice and always have) in the bottle, just to make it easier to differentiate.

I made all of my own baby food and it's really pretty easy to do, especially if you do the batch cooking/freezing cubes thing. Is he really that big already?

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

He mainly never got a bottle because I was too lazy to pump. We tried once, but he didn't like it at all. It may have been too late to introduce it, though.

He's a little more than 5 months. I was going to wait until he was 6 months, but about two weeks ago it seemed he was having to eat (milk) twice as much as normal at each feeding to be satisfied. I figured then that I should probably start introducing solids. He only gets them once a day since it's more for experience than anything right now.

Crazy, though, how fast it's gone. He's already grown over 6 inches (now 28 in.) and doubled his birth weight (now 17 lbs.)!!

leethie said...

check out http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
they have some good tips for homemade babyfood - even homemade cereal.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Yeah, I have it bookmarked already. It's a good site.

Lindsay said...

That Wholesome Baby Food site is the one I used to get some of my baby food making questions answered. It's a good resource. And I'm with you: baby food is so dang expensive. That was the biggest reason I started pureeing my own fruits and veggies.

I tried giving Garrett avocado a few weeks ago and he did the whole gagging thing, too. Which is, I think, just sad. Avocado's are the greatest thing nature invented for us to eat! I'll have to try it again with him sometime....maybe he'll come around.

We also have been giving Garrett a sippy cup. He loves it, especially when it has ice water in it. We gave him juice (diluted with water) for the essentially the first time today (he got pear juice as a newborn to help relieve his constipation issues) and he loved it. He holds the cup himself now, for the most part (though tilting it up high enough is still a challenge).

Have fun with the solid foods!

Amanda said...

cereal is always a good cheap bet. then you can add applesauce to it later. i made the mistake of not introducing just one food at a time with my first few kids, and some things didn't settle well with them. also, my kids that ate vegetables before fruits or sweet potatoes (most of my babies' favorite) have been considerably less picky eaters.