Friday, October 26, 2007

Week 40

Well, he made it! My water broke on Monday night/ Tuesday morning at midnight. I wasn't sure if it was my water breaking or an unfortunate bladder moment because it wasn't a huge gush and I hadn't experienced any contractions or other indications of labor. But it kept trickling and after about 15 min. sporadic contractions began. I called the Dr. to see if I should go and check it out, and she said to come on in. By the time we got to the hospital my contractions were 5 min. apart.

I was only dilated to a 2, but they decided to keep me since my water had, in fact, broken. I labored until 9 AM without an epidural, but I wasn't making very quick progress. I had thrown up twice and the contractions were pretty intense, so I asked for an epidural. RIGHT MOVE!!!!

I labored until about 4 PM with the epidural, so it wasn't too bad. They told me I finally hit a 10 but he was still pretty high, so we shouldn't push yet. The epidural started to wear off by about 6 PM when the doctor showed up and decided to try and push him out. (The hospital was packed, so the nurses only checked on me once every two hours or so!) I wasn't prepared at all for the doctor to show up since they'd checked on me so infrequently, so when they started me in position, I started freaking out a bit. When they laid me on my back and put my legs up, it felt very wrong. He felt way too high up and I started hyperventilating and crying. They didn't really explain what I was supposed to do very well, so the first attempt was horrible. I was out of control and all of the sudden the doctor started yelling to call my actual doctor in for an emergency c-section. His heart rate dropped really low so they turned me on my side to try and get it up while we waited for my doctor to get there. (The doctor trying to help me deliver vaginally was pretty new and hadn't ever done an emergency C-section.)

I thought we were having to do a C-section because I was freaking out, so I calmed myself down. His heart rate came up while I was on my side so I asked if we could try one more time with me in control. We did, his heart rate dropped again, and by that time my doctor had shown up. They kept saying "I see molding", but I didn't know what that meant. So, they quickly wheeled me down to the OR and in a matter of minutes they had given me a general anesthetic. I could still feel what was going on when they started cutting so they gave me nitric oxide as well. By the time they got the baby out I could barely open my eyes and hear him scream. The next thing I remember was opening my eyes and seeing Matt holding a clean baby.

His poor little head couldn't fit through my pelvis, so his head had molded to the opening. There was no way he could have been born vaginally. We would have both died probably.

His head was very cone shaped that first night, but it's nice and regular looking now. I felt so bad for him! But he is healthy and hungry now, so I guess we both survived.

His stats:
Birthday: Tuesday October 23, 2007 (One of the 3 % born on his due date!)
Time: 6:45 PM
Name: Dean Addison Bras(s)
Weight: 8 lbs 5.9 oz
Length: 21 3/4 in long
Hair: brownish-reddish hair
Misc: big feet
Conclusion: very cute

Here are some pictures to prove it. He looks different even now so I'll post a few more later. Celia and Dean were able to come home today (Friday). I'm recovering pretty quickly. My incision is quite small, and I'm feeling pretty good considering what we went through!

I'm so glad my parents are here to help take care of us for a little bit!! It's scary!





25 comments:

ASB said...

Celia! He is gorgeous! I've been thinking about you a lot and hoping all is well. Congratulations and I am so glad the whole family is well, and healthy, and home.

If you need anything, call or email me, okay? I mean that.

Brian & Veronica said...

Celia,
You're both so beautiful. I'm sorry you had to go through all that, but I'm soooo glad you're all o.k.! Congratulations! I've been wondering about you all week, and it was really great to get an email and see the pictures.
Love you tons,
Veronica

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

Congratulations! He is a very handsome boy--and he looks like he will fit in very well with his cousins.

I'm glad to hear that you both survived and that he is healthy!

Lindsay said...

Hey! Congratulations! He's absolutely beautiful!! I, too, was wondering if you were busy having a baby when you hadn't posted in a few days. :) Wow, that's quite the traumatic birth experience - I'm glad you're both doing well. And I agree -- it's scary at first. Newborns come with so much responsibility. Don't worry, though: you'll do great. That natural mother instinct will kick in before you know it, and before too much longer, you'll feel like you're a pro, the only person in the world (well, except maybe besides your husband) who knows your baby inside and out. Congrats again!

FoxyJ said...

Congratulations! Sounds like a scary birth story, but I'm glad everything worked out well and that you're starting to feel better. A word of advice about c-sections--even if you start feeling better after a week or two, take it easy for at least a month. Two weeks after I had S-Boogie we moved apartments. I didn't do any moving, but the next day I did a ton of cleaning including vacuuming, sweeping, etc. I felt OK that day, but the next day I started bleeding heavily and had to go on bedrest for two days to get it to stop. Your insides can take a while to heal.

Anyways--he looks like a beautiful baby and I hope you're both doing OK. Congratulations again!

Rubalcavas said...

Congratulations!! He's so cute! I glad everything worked out for you ok...your experience sounds very eventful....its all worth it though, huh?

CASSIE said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! HE WAS BIG AND LONG! I AM GLAD EVERYTHING WORKED OUT OKAY...ITS A RELIEF HAVING HIM HERE AND HEALTHY HUH...GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING...WE HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON!

Lady Steed said...

Welcome to earth Dean!! Sounds like you had quite the time getting here. But you made it and now you can start figuring the whole body earth-life thing out. Fortunately you have two great people to help you out.
Love, Aunt Lady Steed

PS Can't wait to meet you and have you meet your cousins.


******
Silly,
I fully support Foxy's advice--heed it. Rest, stay in bed, do nothing but care for your baby. Let your parents take care of you. Let my brother take of you. Your body has been through a lot, let it heal.

Mizike said...

Congratuations! Skyprincess and I send our best. A very dapper looking young man.

Curtis, Crystal, Vance, Kael, and Merek Birdno said...

Congrats Celia!!! I am so glad that everything went ok in the end. When Vance was born he wasn't breathing very well and I didn't get to hold him for very long before they rushed him off to help him. It was a pretty scary time. It was crazy to see my 8 lb 14oz baby in the NICU with all the preemies but he needed to be in there and after a couple hours he was able to come out and let me nurse him. It was quit the experience but he was worth every moment. I am so happy for you. Boys are a blast. Enjoy every moment that you have with him. He will be crawling before you know it. Love you girl!!

Brooke said...

Congratulations! I am so happy that everything ended up okay. He is so cute! And...a big boy! --It's no wonder it was difficult to get him out. I'll be excited to see more pictures. They really do change so much. Enjoy having your family around and enjoy your little miracle!

Emily said...

Celia, what a birth story, that will be a great one to pull out at get togethers!! Your Mr. Dean is gorgeous! You must be so proud, and you look beautiful and glowing as well! So sorry you had some trauma, but glad to hear things worked out in the end!
Emily

The Drapers said...

I have been looking forward to these pictures! He is really cute. Take care, I wish I was there to come see you or bring you dinner or something! Take care.
Lesley

holly said...

Congratulations. Yeah, I'm so excited for you. He is so cute. Who did your C-section? I'm sorry that your experience was kind of scary. But now you have a beautiful baby boy to show for all your hard work.

CACKEL said...

you all look so great. now, i know that everyone says you and matt look alike, but from the second i saw those pictures, he looked just like matt to me. good job. 8 lbs. 6 oz. is a BIG baby!! that is fully twice as big as jordan and emily's last baby born at 31 weeks (4 lbs.). and yes, that is a great story, although it was traumatic at the time. i am so glad it's over!! now you can just enjoy your baby.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Wow. I didn't know Jordan and Emily had a preemie!

Thanks for all the well wishes. We're doing well. He didn't sleep much last night and he's been sleeping quite a bit today. =( Hope we can get his schedule flipped soon enough.

FoxyJ, thanks so much for reminding me for the absolute NEED to take it easy. That's really hard for me to do. I usually underestimate the amount of energy and strength it takes to do "normal" tasks. I'll try to be a good girl.

Amanda said...

CONGRADULATIONS! I can't believe that you had such a long labor. Great job at pulling it all together. He is so handsome! Good Luck in the next couple of weeks. CONGRATS!!!!
Amanda Slade Coon

Brian & Veronica said...

Celia,
How long were you sick? Or were you?
Love,
v

J D C and N said...

Celia I'm so glad that both you and the baby are healthy and doing well. Sorry it had to be such a rough time- I understand how it goes. If you want to talk about it sometime just call me. I was honestly pretty traumatized with the whole c-section when Covey was born. But it passes. Good luck! And he is sooo cute! Congrats!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

V-
I had about 2 weeks of evening nausea, but it wasn't enough to really make me throw up or feel too terribly bad. I think it was partially the prenatal vitamins I was taking at the time.

Anonymous said...

Celia, You are a beautiful mother! Your little (uh . . . big) boy is so sweet and gorgeous. I've been checking your blog via Amanda's to keep up with your pregnancy. Congradulations to all of you. Sorry it was such an ordeal for you, but glad you had the help you needed. Sounds like you will be a very capable mom, but I agree with taking it easy for as long as possible.

You were a beautiful baby and child, so the kid got good genes. Hubby is pretty cute too, and he looks a little proud of his boy.

Lots of love to you all.

Erin said...

Congratulations! He is adorable and I love his name.

I'm sorry your labor and deliver did not go very smoothly but, it is very good that you are both healthy and happy.

His stats are almost identical to Anna's!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Celia! I had my baby c-section too, back in August...not fun! At least mine was planned, though (he was breech). Babies are so fun, even more so after you're not so sore and when they start sleeping better! I'm so excited for you...good luck!

Amy (Flake) Orr

P.S. I came across links to your blog on Veronica's and Michelle's blogs...fun times!

MelindaLou said...

Hey Celia, Wow what a beautiful baby. No big supprise since he is yours. I was so happy to find your site. I am so glad that your mom & dad are there, take advantage of having them there, they always go home to soon. Well I will keep it short since you have lot's of sleeping & kissing the baby to do. I'll have to talk to you more soon. Melinda

becki said...

hey celia, he is precious. congrats and glad all ended up well...a beautiful, healthy baby.